1996 Rover 220 2.0Lt Injection

Snapey

Car
Rover 220 2.0lt 96'
hi Guy, ive just got hold of a Rover 220 Tomcat 2.0lt Injection.
I would love to fit a turbo in future im thinking just swap the lump, but can anyone recommend some tuning advice for the current engine i have.

Also anyone know where i can get a different colour interior strip as im not liking the walnut effect one already there im thinking carbon look etc?

If anyone know where i can find a decent priced turbo engine would be greatful.

Thanks
Ian

Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing you have the T-series engine for that year of car? Best option would be to change the complete engine and ecu over to a T-series turbo as found in the turbo version and 400 Ti, should be easy enough. As to where? you'll need to phone around for a bargin, try roverbreakers

Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing you have the T-series engine for that year of car? Best option would be to change the complete engine and ecu over to a T-series turbo as found in the turbo version and 400 Ti, should be easy enough. As to where? you'll need to phone around for a bargin, try roverbreakers
Or the engine found in a 220 turbo :lol:
As for the dash trim, i'm going to swap mine with a mk3 rover 200

Hi there and a warm welcome. I had a 220GTi and did 2 engines and a gearbox swap. All the 2.0 Engines will fit although the mountings on the 820 and 620 need swapping out.

The standard box will not handle turbo power. The 620 has a hydraulic clutch so makes a swap a little harder.

The turbo engine has a lower compression and forged pistons and a stronger gasket for starters so its not possible to easily bolt on a turbo.

As has already been said you will need the wiring loom for a turbo engine swap. Rovers MEMS used a number of crank sensors. Some pulse every rotation and other pulse every quarter rotation. The immobiliser and door locks are also wired into the MEMS so your best bet is to get an old turbo donor and strip the parts off it and sell you old engine, gearbox and the interior plus any other unneeded bits on the donor to cover your costs.

On your current engine,
Fit some fast road cams, FSE fuel boost valve, panel air filter, 2.5 inch exhaust (Scorpions are good) with a sports cat, then get a Quaife Torsion diff. Brakes are pathetic on the 220 GTi. Get some larger disks and braided hoses.

Suspension mods are also good. I bet your rear bushes are shot, get some poly ones and save yourself the job of replacing them every 2 years!

With suspension upgrades be careful though as the Turbo front damping is different due to the extra weight and standard suspension will not work on the Turbo. Any kit that claims to fit the Turbo and non Turbo should be avoided, they are not the same at all.

Cheers thanks for the ideas, i looked on the FSE site, for the fuel valve but couldnt see it anyone have the link.
I just had alot of work done on the bushes and cv joints and other stuff so the car is feeling pretty good now.

Cheers guys.