1995 Saab 900SE Turbo help

K

Killjoy27

I have a 1995 Saab 900SE turbo and was wanting to know every possible turn-up and upgrade to help get this car a little more ponys than it does not have.its got about 173,000 miles on it.

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

With 173,000 miles the first thing I would do is to rebuild the block before you think about upping the power. Forged pistons, valves etc. Have the cylinder sleeves honed and check for any scratches or blemishes etc. Go for a tubular exhaust manifold and a 3" exhaust down pipe. Stick with the stock air box but fit a performance panel filter instead. Now would be a good time to up the turbo size a little, try a TD04 16T or 18T hybrid, Mitsubishi units are quite good. DO NOT touch the cheap chinese units you find on Ebay. Then look about having a stage 3 remap of your ECU.

Before you do any of this, change your brakes and pads and also uprate the damper springs or upgrade to a set of coilovers. All that power without control is just plain wrong.

Try contacting Genuine Saab in the States: http://www.genuinesaab.com/index.htm for localish help on some of the parts required.

I wish you good luck with your project :)

If you want to keep the prices down, keep the engine internals as they are. If you end up blowing an engine its far cheeper to just buy a used engine and put it in !! However even at 175000 miles theres a lot of life in it. To begin with I would fit a used cross flow intercooler as found on the viggen and some other 93 models, cheap and will add noticeable power. A manual boost controller for 20 dollars is also amusing. These two should take it past 200 bhp. My car has 135000 miles and goes beautifully. I have Maptun stage 3 with TD04 turbo, 3" downpipe etc. plus other mods. I plan on further upgrades in the summer. If I damage the engine internals I will just replace the engine for a used one, in the UK they can be bought for £350.