Torque Cars

1993 miata 1.6 turbo

Discussion in 'MX5/Eunos forums' started by 96dakota, 4 July 2011.

1. 96dakota

96dakota Newbie

United States
    Car:
    Dakota 3.9 v6
    I'm thinking about getting a 93 miata mx-5 1.6 and put a turbo on what do I need to do to the engine internally make it as powerful as i can and as safe. I know that i have to put a better fuel system, ECU, pistons with a lower compression, heads and other things.

2. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    We get asked this question a lot so have a look at this thread which covers the basics. I have to admire your ambition though!:D And I hope you pull it off.

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f101/adding-turbo-nasp-engine-15003/
    Cheap turbos can be purchased from breakers yards which are ideal for a try it and see type project.:bigsmile:

You have covered the bases really with your list. I'd add harder pistons, and crank just to be safe.

There are quite a few kits around for this and as the kits contain lowish boost turbos they pretty much just bolt on.

Adding a turbo is a major engineering task and without a kit with full instructions and all the parts you need there is a big risk of blowing up the engine. Expect to spend 50 hours upwards on a project of this type if you are sourcing the parts yourself. This is not the sort of modification you should undertake unless you are mechanically competent and know what you are doing.

It is worth looking at superchargers as these are generally much easier to install than a turbo is and again there are kits around for the Miata.

3. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Hello and Welcome to TorqueCars.:bigsmile:
    Hope you enjoy your time with us.

4. 96dakota

96dakota Newbie

United States
    Car:
    Dakota 3.9 v6
    so it would be better to get a car with a turbo already in it like the A4 1.8T and just upgrade the turbo

5. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Greetings and Welcome! ;)

6. silver92b

silver92b Wrench Pro

Atlanta, GA USA
    Car:
    Miata NA6
    Unless you plan to make over 160 whp, you don't need new internals. My '92 supercharged 1.6 makes over 145 whp on a Dynodynamics dyno which is comparable to about 160 on a Dynojet. All I have is 1.8 injectors, an AFPR and the JR Timing Boost Control module.

I believe that a turbocharger that makes the same power will be just fine with a suitable fuel & ignition control. There are many stand alone computers available to tune your engine for safe performance. However, I don't think any of them run perfectly and the guys who use them are forever tinkering with them. The little timing and fuel cards that are available from Jackson Racing work really well.