185/60 R15 H change to 195/50 R15 H

Sokolski

Car
Megane 1.6e RT
Difference in cost per tyre is about 20 euros in favour for 195/50 R15 H. Will this dimension be suitable for car which runs on 185/60 R15 H?

Last edited:
Compare wheel diameter and tacho readings. I think within 3% of difference is acceptable.
Hope that helps.
If you are asking about ride, then lower profile will give somewhat stiffer feeling and sharper wheel responce. Also i think rolling ressistance will be a bit higher.
In Cro you should have tyre size in your "Prometna knjižica". Check in some MOT station can you put new tyres into that booklet or ring Centar za vozila Hrvatske and ask them about changing dimension.

Last edited:
Zwaf you know that dimension 195/50 R15 is a lot cheapper than 195/55 R15, even if I go to Slovenia to Furlan. 4,5% is difference between 185/60 R15 and 195/50 R15.

I know prices in Slovenia. Problem is I did not read your question good enough - was thinkin you got 185/60 14 instead of 15".
Yes in that case your tacho will show you biger numbers. For egsample at real 100 km/h your reading will be about 105 km/h.

Regarding tacho reading you will be much closer with 195/55 15 tyres, but in that case you'll have no saving in tyre price.

With 50 profil you'r megane's arch gap will gain another 13,5 mm.

After all that, decision is up to you. With cheaper tyres you will have more arch gap, your tacho will lie to you and probably every fifth police officer will note that you got different tyre dimension in your vehicle book.

I think in all that story, it's better to stick with serial dimension 185/60 R15. Tacho will read OK, tyres will bi in the middle in price range, consumption will stay normal.

Can you search around what tyre dimensions was implemented in same generation Meganes?
All of that dimensions are alowed to use by our legislators and maybe you can find some of them will suit you in all aspects you are interested?

I play little with tyre calculator and got this conclusion: 185/60 R15 is almost equal to 215/45 R16 (0,5% difference-but this dimension is rare) and only slightly different from 215/40 R17 (0,1% difference-dimension is used more often). My question now is, will be 215/40 R17 suitable to replace 185/60 R15 without any modification to the car?

I found this online calculator accurate: http://www.willtheyfit.com/

Play a little with poke, inset and speedo error to see what happens when you change diameter, tyre width, rim width and ET.
That will help you to compare with space you deal in your Megane. That is closest I can tell you 'cause I got no experience with anny Meganes.