156 Engine noise

ivacoolcar

Car
Alfa Romeo 156
I've just brought a 156 1.8 T.Spark, not the biggest of engines, but hey, having an alfa as your second car is good going in my book. Its a bit of a project as it needs some work doings, its got a few bumps that need straightening and a bit of minor paintwork, but the think thats got me a bit concerned is the engine noise. Lets just say it sounds like a diesel at the moment. I thought its probably the exhaust but does anyone have any other ideas what it could be?

Is the noise coming from the top of the engine? I suppose it could be a loose exhaust mount. Why do you suspect the exhaust?

because theres a hole in the mid section that it should have failed the mot on. turned out that part of the noise was the crank shaft though, which has now completely gone ]=

thought so, had a mate wreak his crank twice (dont ask how) 1st time he was lucky and it just needed a new crank second he wasnt so lucky and damaged some valves, pistons stayed in up position as nothing turning it, valves came done and clipped it