106 XSi `94 Question

wardog

Hi ... somewhere in this site I read a post which says:

"Needed an oil cooler badly (fitted to later models and Rallye only). 15 minutes in the lanes driving as it begged to be driven saw the oil temperature needle nudge the red."

My problem however is not the oil temperature but the engine temperature. After 1 or 2 minutes of driving (when the car is heated up) and the needle goes almost in the red and the vane turns on. And that's all the time. Does somebody have an idea what the problem might be?! And if the problem is that oil cooler that I mentioned about can it be intalled if I buy it !?

Thank you in advance for your time and your attention!!!!!!!!

How many miles has your car done? Oil coolers are generally specified for track day cars, and normal driving shouldn't require an oil cooler.

It's quite easy to buy and fit an oil cooler, mocal do a good set-up for 106/Saxo. You could also buy one from a different car from eBay.

Is the fan on your rad kicking in okay?

well the mileage says it's 93,000km but they are more for sure, but I can't know for sure. maybe 130,000-150,000. I will buy an oil cooler for the rallye version if I buy one but I'm not sure (as you do) that this is the problem, because the oil is not heated at all - it's the engine itself. Can it be something else!? Like the block for example or something like that, because I know a person with the same pug and he says that his is doing just fine (but he doesn't understand much). I don't know... this is just driving me crazy. The fan goes on and off all the time and I hate it it's so irritating and I'm a little worried too. Is there anybody who has or had a pug like this and if so - what are his observations!?

About the fan ... it's replaced and it's not the original - it was fitted from another car (not sure what).

Could be a sticking thermostat stopping the flow of coolant into the radiator as it's reading too low. You could kill your head gasket if this is not sorted. That would be the first thing I check.

BE CAREFUL - does the radiator feel hot? Which of the pipes going into the radiator are hot?

The oil cooler will not fix an overheating problem like this. Are you having to top up the water levels? Have you noticed white smoke from the exhaust.

I think Wayne has hit the nail on the head, more likely to be a thermostat fault, or the coolant temperature sensor..

I doubt the 106XSi even has a oil temperture guage, so even if the oil was hot, you wouldn't know!

so ... if I got it right you suggest to change the thermostat and the temperature sensor!?

the radiator is hot yes and I have to fill it up with water from time to time. The rubber pipes (where the water flows), which go to the engine I think, are hot. There is no white smoke (which appears when it mixes water with oil if I'm not mistaken).

Any other suggestions !? I'll change the thermostat and the sensor, but if it does heat up again (hopefully NOT) what should I do next!?

And the radiator should be hot the side the water goes in (looking at the bay, on the left) and it should be cold as it comes out.. On the way out.. Run your hand across it, and you should feel the difference between the two sides. Fell the pipes also. Might be a faulty rad.

yes ... the radiator had some "holes" but this was a problem that I fixed. I bought some fluid (made specially for filling the radiator) and mixed it up with the water and the problem is gone. After that I went to a service where they couldn't find out why and where the water is going. I think that the problem might be the cap of the radiator which was replaced and again not an original one and I'm not sure it's the right one, I mean it fits and all but just don't seem the right one. Ideas!?

Rad weld is the stuff. It may have clogged up an internal waterway in the block.

BTW - Water does not dissapear - it must go somewhere. It may be seeping into the cylinder through the head gasket and getting boiled away. It suggests to me that pressure is building up in the system due to a blockage.

I just heard that to test your thermostat you can put it in a pan of hot water and heat it up, it should open when the water is hot enough.. I didn't know this and thought it might be useful!

Top Tip Freddie. It's one of those common sense things I suppose - why didn't I think of that - umm - oh yeah no common sense!

its known that rad weld can over heat cars as it get to the thermostat and blocks it up you was better off using what we call in the trade a dry dog poo i used it on my 1993 pug 106 1.4 Xsi. i have had problems with it over heating but that was due to a thermostat that was not openin. What i can suggest for your car, as it is over heatin take the thermostat, this means that the water will go round the whole coolin system so it runs cooler but beware it wont get up to temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes ... the radiator had some "holes" but this was a problem that I fixed. I bought some fluid (made specially for filling the radiator) and mixed it up with the water and the problem is gone. After that I went to a service where they couldn't find out why and where the water is going. I think that the problem might be the cap of the radiator which was replaced and again not an original one and I'm not sure it's the right one, I mean it fits and all but just don't seem the right one. Ideas!?

Does the rad cap seal properly. When the engine is warm is there any steam coming out of the rad cap? My sister had this over heating prob in her od diesel Clio and it turned out to be the rad cap wasn't on properly and was leaking.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back