106 gti stuttering. condenser?

carwyn

Car
ford focus st-2
hi guys, i own a 106 gti. had it a year and she's been brilliant. she had 60k on the clock last march and i've put 16k on her since. anyway, i was driving along yesterday and she started stuttering in high gears but low revs. spoke to a mate and he says condenser. question is, do gti's have condenser and where will it be? the car is running off a coil pack rather than a dizzy and leads. please help:sad2:

Condenser? You mean capacitor? Also generally if it has a coil pack then it's more likely to have a diode that a capacitor

Also if the capacitor had gone then you'd have other problems with the car, like the alternator and battery would be having problems.

So does it actually miss fire?

1stly thanks for your input. Yeah, missing under stress. Goes ok when I gun it. Just doesn't like hills in high gears. Battery and alternator are ok too. Where would a diode be situated?

Hey, had a look at the car with my mate, he had a simular prob with a 306. He seems to think that it is a capasitor, we think we found it, its a tiny black box bolted onto the end of the block and has a wire goin into the coil pack. Does this sound right??

That'll be the source of the problem but it won't be a condenser/capacitor alone. Caps were used in cars with mechanical timing to suppress the EMF across the opening breaker points. Your car is far too young to suffer from this.

Also check plugs and fuel filter etc.

What you're referring to is the timing ECU and this will NOT have breaker points.

Hmm this is quite common on the 106 gti and saxo vts!

Does it start running on 3 from time to time?

If so i could almost guarentee its the coilpack! Common problem on the tu 16v

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back