106 From Diesel to Gasoline?

S

seycar

I have a Pug 106, TUD5, Diesel, year 1997 and want to swap the engine for a gasoline one from a 306. will this be a straightforward transplant for a DIY or do I need to call in some experts?

The rear suspension has also gone to rags, can anyone advise if the rear susp can be replaced by a better type, such as from a Japanese brand??

Thanks

when you convert to a petrol engine from a diesel its a big job, not only do you have to change the engine and ECU but you have to change the all the fuel lines, fuel tank, anythin that has has diesel go through it basicly, and as diesels are heavyer engiens and rev differently you would need a new gearbox with gears for a petrol engine and you would need to change most if not all the suspension (thats front and rear) to match the new engine, also you want to chuck a 306 engine in you'll need to do somethin about the brakes as well

so yea its quite a big job lol

You will also have a nightmare getting the car re-registered as a Diesel model. All fuel lines/pumps/electrics need changing and the battery needs uprating.

The Gti-6 engine is brilliant a definate worth while upgrade for a 106

and i would suggest buying a 106 gti and putting that engine in (use the gti-6 gear box as well as it is a 6-speed but you might need to mod the steering rack for it to fit)...would be easier
with the 106 gti you get the better back axel and it's a petrol so you would need to change the fuel lines

as brake go you could use the brakes of a 206 gti-180 same size discs as the 306 gti-6 but bigger calipurs but if you do want to push the boat out and buy 4-pots then you'll probebly need a bigger brake master cylinder

would be a nice project to work on would be almost like building a mix and match peugeot from some of the best bits (106 gti shell 306 gti-6 engine and gear box 206 gti-180 brakes) but it's going to be expensive....

also have you thought about staying with diesel and using the classic 1.9 DT engine from the 306 would be something different never seen it done on a 106

found an article of a bloke doing it on a 205 and he beats all the petol ones in his class on the drag strip

Last edited:
What is the power output of a GTI-6 engine?

120 bhp standard but they way less than a ton! so you just know that they are going to fly down the road. And as I read somewhere else in the forum a few minutes ago, a member here got his 106 gti up to 170 bhp!! Which is lethal imo lol

120 bhp standard but they way less than a ton! so you just know that they are going to fly down the road. And as I read somewhere else in the forum a few minutes ago, a member here got his 106 gti up to 170 bhp!! Which is lethal imo lol

the GTi-6 306 engine is 167 bhp standard with 145lb/ft torque

i think you gave the power figure of the 106 Gti lol

106 rallye was 106 bhp lightend stripped down version of the 160 gti

(the original 1.3 106 rallye p1 didn't even have alloy wheels!)

think that was the 1.6 8v version though (same as the later Saxo VTR silver top engine but the 106 rally had a better exhaust manifold AFAIK)
the 1.3 8v had 75 hp i think or somewhere in that regoin
(some preffer the 1.3 as they say it's a bit more 'egar' than the 1.6)
the 1.3 has also been called a 1.4 because of it wierd size
because that engine is the same engine found in the entry level of the 306 (exactally the same engine) but was called a 1.4.....

Renault do the same with their engine sizes - perhaps it was Frech taxation regulation. The engine in renault was 1344 - mid way between a 1.3 and 1.4. ;)

Renault do the same with their engine sizes - perhaps it was Frech taxation regulation. The engine in renault was 1344 - mid way between a 1.3 and 1.4. ;)

they can be wired like that i have to say they tend to have there own rules when doing engines..lol

like the 205 gti they don't make a 1.8 or a 2.0 like normal manufactures they have to use a 1.9...lol