1 Hour Motorway or 1.5 hours A road?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If you have a choice of route and you could either do 1 hour on a motorway or 1.5 hours on a twisty A road which would you go for?

I guess it depends on the time factor - if it was work and I was late it would be the motorway for me. However if it was work I could leave earlier and enjoy a much more pleasurable drive. (It would also need to be sunny and at an off peak time.)

If you have a choice of route and you could either do 1 hour on a motorway or 1.5 hours on a twisty A road which would you go for?

I guess it depends on the time factor - if it was work and I was late it would be the motorway for me. However if it was work I could leave earlier and enjoy a much more pleasurable drive. (It would also need to be sunny and at an off peak time.)

im the same mate but some other factors i take into account are weather im in the van or car i always take the motorway in the van as like you say its quicker i will only take the a road in the van if i get forewarned on the radio about congestion on the motorway
also i take into account who i have in the car take for example a few months back for my 30th birthday my parents paid for all the family to stop in a hotel up north their was no way i was driving on a a road with my dad next to me (hes the type of driver who will happily sit behind a tractor and take in the scenery even if its safe to overtake) so to save the ear ache i went on the motorway but if i was on my own i would have had a bit of fun on the a road

Yes, it does depend on time factor!

If youve got somewhere to be then hit the motorway and boot it.

If your just cruising then by all means, take the twisty road and have some fun :)

How about after half hour on the motorway you turn off and use the A roads for the rest of journey? If I had to pick though I'd say motorway as it ahould get you there quicker.

Waynne

You will get me into trouble decided this morning not to go the usual route to work went A+B roads throughly enjoyed myself not sure what my passengrs thought as i threw the car into corners and accelerated out.

Might do the same tomorrow

Obviously time is an issue but many country roads I go on you can easily match motorway speeds. Especially up Mid and North Wales, you just have to watch out for Richard Brunstrom's Mobile Money Boxes.

Kai - don't get me on Brunstrom's stupidity. Waynne probably isn't too keen on him either.

He gives the police in general a very bad reputation.

There's not many motorways available in Wales tho (M4, and M48(?) I think). A55 Expressway along the North coast is a nice road though, but that's often plagued with over enthusiastic speed trap operators.

I agree, you can often make swift progress on country roads, and I'm an exponent of the art. Clearly, you have to push pretty hard to match a car doing a similar journey at high speed on a motorway route. But - it's possible. Motorways are better for fuel/tyre/brake economy though as you can often maintain three figure speeds for miles on end.

Sorry PhilXJ6 but it is such good fun isn't it?

Kia- All speeding fines should go to central goverment rather than local authority and this should remove the over zealous enforcement.

That's often why local authorities lose interest when a fine is challenged in court. ie. If a fine is enforced by the court it IS paid to central government.

Country roads for me! :) IMO motorways are boring, :toung:
I like the ' you never know whats round the bend ' way of driving ( keeps my reactions in top form too lol ) :lol: even some A road dual carriageways can be ' boring ' depending on traffic.

Chris.. :blink1:

Chris GMOC "even some A road dual carriageways can be ' boring ' depending on traffic."

Chris, it's very simple where the problem lies. YOU ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE NEAR FAST ENOUGH. HONESTLY, MAN, GET A GRIP :)

Cheers,

P.

I quite like the windows to be up and let the climate control take care of things atmospheric. And the cruise control can take care of the cruising thing. ooops, such a shame I can't afford a driver as well. ;)

Chris, it's very simple where the problem lies. YOU ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE NEAR FAST ENOUGH. HONESTLY, MAN, GET A GRIP :)

Cheers,

P.

Was ' grip ' being the operative word there? HDi fun, I think I meant I prefer the rally style rather just up to speed then sit like a zombie on the motorway.
Its more challenging to do a certain ' run ' faster than last record, or a strange road as fast as possible, ( Ok when dry, but put a bit of moisture on the road & Granny turns into a wild animal that needs taming, oops what's my back end doing over there lol). Stuck in traffic just don't do it for me, ( brake, crawl, brake etc. ), I will even go a few miles out of my way to avoid that sort of boredom.

Chris.. :blink1:

My car is similar - there's no real sensation of speed until you're into three figures. Perhaps that's a problem - mechanical refinement leads us to drive faster

Pump your tyre up hard and stick your head out of the sunroof and you get an accurate perception of speed.