1.9D (from a 306?) in z 106?

slickshoes

Tuner
i've got a 1500 diesel 106, and i was thinking about putting a 1.9 engine in it.

I was thinking either from a 205 or a 306, but would any of these actually fit into the 106?

Or are there any others at all that would?

I think the 306 is your best bet the 205 is a much older chassis and design wheras the 106 & 306 models runs synonymously (probably the wrong word!).

I haven't ever seen it done though so i'd be interested to see what other comments this thread picks up. :wink:

Most engine conversions are on Petrol models but now the diesels have power and torque they are fast becoming the power plant of choice!

Take some rough measurements. Ground to middle of the wheel then middle of the wheel to top of the engine you don;t want it poking up above the bonnet although sometime the engine can be put in at a slight angle. I'm pretty sure you'll need to make some custom engine mounts!

Also check width and depth of engine then measure on your 106 this will give you a ballpark! Battery can always be relocated to the boot if necessary.

Tell your mates about this site and we'll all promise not to nick your idea!

Check out spooxmotorsport - I'm sure they have done 106 petrol to 306 petrol conversions and they might even have suitable mounts etc...

yeah all of my friends have just started driving actually, so i'll point them in this direction

Yeh, checked out their site, but couldnt find any information about it, so i'm gonna email them and ask for info/advice

unless there's a person from them on here (i think i saw a banner in someones signature) that you can point towards this topic? =]

hi dont think that spoox have ever done 106 to 306.

at the minute thay are working on a 106 xsi now has a 2l turbo witch should be out to show next yr.(might be able to get a couple od pics.this car has been in a mag but cant remember witch one)

they do alot of conversions the best thing to do would to speak to daz or ben at spoox and they would help you out.
i cant help that much as i only do all there graphic work.

Pretty sure that 306 GTi-6 lumps have gone in 106's, but massive front end weight and complications with drivetrain make the 106 GTi conversion with engine mods a much, much more favourable swap in my opinion.

Also it is much more like a straight swap when compared to the conversions you are looking at where engine mounts may have to be fabrecated, struts and suspension reinforced etc.

Is there any reason in particular you want to go for such a large engine?

Sorry for the delay in reply, the internet at my home has been down over xmas.

yeh i dunno, i'm thinking either 1.9TD or a TDi conversion on my 1500D engine.

what (including other options) would be the best to go for if i wanted to improve acceloration and uphill driving (torque i guess)

because i'm that car that you whizz past while coming onto the motorway off a roundabout and then are being overtaken by 10 seconds later.

the car's an absolute machine once its got up to 60/70, keeps up with anything, but its just getting up to that speed and travelling uphill where it has problems, in true diesel style

so what does everyone think?

I wouldn't attempt to fit a turbo to a diesel engine - it would take a major rebuild and cost more than an engine swap to do. Stick with your original plan of an engine swap :wink:

oh right cool!

i was kinda hoping you'd say that, i still love the individuality that would come out of having a 1.9 in a 106

any more advice on the 1.9 conversion?

speak to spoox, pugoff, any dedicated engines company.
Quite a mean thing your trying to pull off! Expense your looking at 1k MIN, engine, gearbox, fabricated mounts,driveshafts,ecu,loom,connection to dash loom.
Engine will be very heavy in a light car so front end will be everywhere round a bend so youl have the same situation!!

ahh i've gone off the idea now, purely because i'm being bought a car later in the year.

but thank you everyone for your help, and i'd love to see this done!

thanks again

Lee

I would agree with you on that one. The golf - especially the GT Tdi is one of the best Diesels out there.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back