1.9 injectors in a 1.6 205 gti

colin dowling

Car
peugeot 205 gti 1.6
hi
i have a 1.6 205 gti that i use for rallycross.has anyone put 1.9 injectors in to a 1.6 and there any significant gain in power.and is as simple as just swopping the injectors over?
if anyone has any thoughts on this id like to hear from you.
thanks

Agreed. More fuel requires more air to work properly. The ecu will self adjust to an extent but bigger injectors will be backed off so there will be no power gain unless you get more air into the engine at the same time.

If you are experiencing lean running then this could be the answer, but also consider a fuel pressure boost valve and an injector service - old injectors can get pretty rough and dribble the fuel instead of spraying it.

thanks for your input guys,I have another question,what is the best combination of gears for max acceleration for a be 1 gear box.i have to run a standard box but not nesacerraly standard gears.i have heard running 1st and 2nd out of a 1.6 205 and 3rd and 4th out of a mi16 and a crown wheel and pinion out of an mi 16.can anyone confirm if this set up will work and is it a good set up.all suggestions welcome.
thanks

I suppose you need to ask where you need the acceleration, will you be using first gear much? I would suspect that 2nd and 3rd should be shorter (1.6) and then use the 4th from an MI16 which is a bit longer.

If you make 1st gear too short then you'll effectively be changing your car to a 3 usable gear setup. What about fitting an MI16 1st gear so this is a bit longer, a lot depends on where the change point from 1st to second is.

NB: Fitting smaller wheels will change the gearing and give faster acceleration;)

If the injectors are indeed different then the are so for a reason. Fitting wildly overrated injectors can, in extreme cases lead to poor running because they are operating below their designed performance envelope. This can lead to poor fuel atomization and spray patterns, both of which will reduce fuel efficiency and power/torque delivery as well as increasing emissions.

If you're modifying your car so extensively that it has to have more fuel (for example, fitting a pair of turbochargers) then you will need to deliver more fuel under certain operating conditions to avoid lean running.

Probably the best way to do this is to run the standard set [of injectors] but drive the whole engine from a custom ECU which can also operate a secondary set of high flow injectors for full load/rev/throttle conditions.

That way you can have a docile engine that idles smoothly and drives beautifully around town but can also keep up the pace when the open road or track demands it.

Thats a pretty sound idea HDI now why didn't I think of that! (Rhetorical question so no answer required;)!)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back