1.8t timing belt

pgarner

TC ModFather
Car
Octy smoke machine
can anybody give me a good time to change the belt the cars only got 20k on it and i checked it the day an looks brand new

the manual says 50k ( or 60k can t remember) then every 20 k
haynes manual says 60k then 20k
mate who used to race in rallies with vw says every 20k max

local supplier says the audi version is 100k for the same engine
anybody know what is the best distance to change it
mixture or both long journeys 70miles a day to little journeys to wok and back 3miles

The age is as important as the mileage. I've known belts that look fine just sheer off so it is really risky. The damage a broken belt can do is expensive to say the least. I did mine at 40k 5 years and will do it again at regular 40k/4 year intervals. I would have thought that short journey put more strain on it that a lot of long journeys. Is your engine transversly mounted? It would cost about £200 to get a garage to do it for you.

Interestingly the V6 Clio belts cost £1000 to change at 5 years so expect to see a lot of cheap 5 year old Clio V6's around.

yeah the short jounrey are supposed to be the killers on it

its not even 3 1/2 year old was looking at doing it around 40-50k just when a mate said vw ones dont really last and should be changed every20k

yeah looked into prices a belts £30 a kits £102 that was for the audi part as couldnt find the AUQ engine code for the VW but there info said 100k
something like that is a mechanics job its pretty tight for room in the bay, hard enough to get the cover off

aye the engine is transverse

is the v6 clio not an engine out job thou for most things

Yup the Clio is an engine out job but I'm reliably informed that you can change headlight bulbs without removing the engine :lol: :wink:

aye but can you do the tail lights :?: :?: :?: :?:

found out a mate at work his old diahatsu had to remove his front bumber to change a headlight bulb and on the new model the engine managment light comes on and need to be reset by a dealer after the bulbs been changed

fun thing owning a car nowadys isnt it