1.8T ibiza cupra or audi S3

wolf1989

Car
BMW 318 e46
Hello, which car is better to keep and tune with the 1.8T engine out of these two? like handling and everything, looks wise, ibiza is probably more sporty

The Audi will hold its value better. Seats have a slightly higher state of tune but both should hit the same power levels.

I know the Audi got the rock solid AGU block which handles more power.

What year and engine code are you looking at?

The Ibiza does look more sporty and feels nicer but as Waynne says the value will drop more quickly, but that does mean you get more for your money when new and if you hold on to it for long enough the depreciation won't matter.

Have you had any more thoughts on this @wolf1989

Since im not that rich, honestly just searching for a nice daily car thats around 4000e with great driving experience as a priority.
Under 2000cc and to be somewhat fast, 160-200 HP is enough id say. Petrol of course.
Looking at MK5 GTI, S3, cupra... civic is nice of course, but here in Serbia its so hard to find mechanics for hondas, not many jap cars around here.
I love older cars so much, for example e36 and e46... but, the fuel consumption on 2.5i is kinda big. Also those bmws are almost impossible to find in a somewhat good condition. Would be an endless money pit, i dont need that lol

As far as i see, those 1.8T are great engines, fast, reliable, good price, everything... the only downside is they sound like crap :)

Thank you!

Last edited:
And what is the opinion on 325i bmw as a daily car? Is the fuel consumption too large compared to the 318i?
Im kinda obsessed with e36 and e46... which is probably not smart place to be

If you get a good one you won't go wrong.

Fuel is pretty much down to how you drive it. Add up your annual mileage and see just what the fuel cost is.

For most people I reckon the difference in having a very boring economical car and a fun high performance car is just $600 over the year.

There is not a lot of difference between the 318i 27.5 mpg and 325i 28.8 mpg fuel economy - these figures were plucked from real world experiences (much lower than manufacturer claims but not that different from each other.)

There is not a lot of difference between the 318i 27.5 mpg and 325i 28.8 mpg fuel economy - these figures were plucked from real world experiences (much lower than manufacturer claims but not that different from each other.)

Is it really as that? Then its like not much difference at all, i mean even if its 30% more its fine.
But from what friends told me, i had an idea that 2.5i 190HP does consume twice as much fuel.
AWESOME NEWS THEN !!! :)

For most people I reckon the difference in having a very boring economical car and a fun high performance car is just $600 over the year.

Exactly this 100% !!!
Im only driving for like a year or so and its my new obsession as i see. Even my 318i is a joy to drive, it has a nice remus sound aswell. But i just need it a bit faster.
So if fuel consumption on 2.5i E36 wont break my wallet, then its a dream coming true.

Kinda poor... but still doing the best i can :)

Always get the lowest mileage car you can afford, year is not important if it's been well looked after.

The Civic is a beast and the VTEC makes the engine really sporty and they are very reliable, but as you say the mileage is quite high.

I think the BMW is the better of the two, you'll be able to do a lot more to it tuning wise.

Any updates, or have you found some more options?

Still didnt sell my BMW. But as soon as i do, i will most likely go for one of those chassis with 1.8T engine. They seem to offer a lot for a pretty cheap price.

Btw, ive seen those 1.8T comes in different HP numbers, such as 150, 180, 220 (S3 BAM). Are they all the same engines or is there a difference? If there is, which one to pick?
Ive already found many SEAT leone/ibiza for a pretty good price. :)

The goal is to get it to around 200 ish HP or slightly above, and keep it as that. Because thats a nice amount of power for me to have fun and not be too fast.

There are a few differences between the engines but I've written an in depth guide to them here.

They are also one of my favourite engines to tune up, they offer quite a bit of potential and are good for 250-300bhp before you need to do major internal work on them.

There are a few differences between the engines but I've written an in depth guide to them here.

They are also one of my favourite engines to tune up, they offer quite a bit of potential and are good for 250-300bhp before you need to do major internal work on them.

Nice post, gonna take a look, thank you!

It's mental that the 1.8T can take around 350bhp, most other engines need quite a bit of work over 200.