1.7TD astra engine in calibra?????

C

conalnator

would it be possible to put a 1.7TD mk3 astra engine in to a calibra?? Im turning 26 in 8 or so months and want to do this to take the insurance down for the next year. Is it a direct swap?? If not what would be the easiest diesil or small (1.4 or 1.6) petrol to temporarly plant into it.

Cheers

changing a petrol to a diesil (i asume the calibra is petrol), im sure that involves a hell of a lot of work, id stick with petrol engine but i think you would have to have custom mounts as the engine would be much smaller. But dont quote me on that lol

I wouldn't bother. By the time you have got your engine, bough all th bits you need to put it in and faffed arond putting it in, and then faff around putting it back as it should be 12 months later you may aswell either:

a) just pay the extra insurance for the year because after parts and down time with the car you probably won't have saved much. Also I don't think the insurance will drop a great deal as the car is still a "sports coupe". Ever tried insuring a 1.6 Capri? not a great deal cheaper than a 2.0, not enough to warrant the smaller motor anyway.

b) buy yourself a cheap runaround for the year. This way you can either abuse it and kill it (if it was cheap enough) or sell it on at the end of the year to recover some of your cash.

I would personally do option a if you already have the car, I certainly wouldn't bother swapping the engine for something smaller or a diesel.

Oh and a Petrol to Diesel swap would have to include to engine wiring loom, fuel lines, tank and probably front suspension as the diesel engine will (probably) weigh alot more than a petrol one.

Good luck with whatever you do and I hope this helps..

There is also allot of faffing about with the DVLA with paperwork for changing the paperwork of the car....i've been there with a car i used to have. You've got to provide garage receipts and garage reports changing from petrol to diesel.

Yip, if you want the registration documents changed, which you need to do or are suposed too! I had a peugeot that was a petrol, but had a 2.2td put into it, but it was hassle getting dvla to change all the paperwork, would never change from petrol to diesel again.

Insurance for a modified car is usually higher even if you switch in a lower powered engine (at best the insurers will keep the same rating and price but most will refuse a quote or charge a higher premium.