1.6 bora engine shuddering

coops

Car
bora 1.6
hi new to the forum,
was wondering if anyone could tell me y my bora engine shudders and sounds like it is gonna stall when excelatating in 1st 2nd gear its kinda a hard thing to explane but anyone whos had experence with this problem will probs no what im on about.
anyone who could shed some light on this problem 4 me it would be greatly appreciated

thanks very much

welcome to the site.

where do you want me to start ?

have you had it scanned ? if not look to finding someone with vagcom of even get the shareware off ebay best money you can spend

guesses would be MAF for starters - disconnect it and see if its any better
coolant sensor - very common issue and around £12 to change
lamba sensor - pain to change in the 1.6 as its quiet high and normally rusts in solidy

cheers for the quick replie im gonna have a look into it tomorrow.. fingers crossed its nothing major.

cheers for the quick replie im gonna have a look into it tomorrow.. fingers crossed its nothing major.

no worries, your pretty lucky as there is a very good vag garage close to you. Awesome Gti. i cant say anything bad about them always been helpful when ive ordered, called and was down

another garage close to you could well be stolen from another forum

Well i just got my pc back after a week in the repair shop as i am hopeless with computers lol, so only just read this thread. First thing is a massive thank you to Matt for taking the time to do this

Yes chaps i have set up on my own with this garage, and so far it as been very good and i have been EXTREMLY busy, as i also do work for two other garages who dont like big jobs (clutch's, timing belts etc) so cant complain.

My full details are LEE'S AUTOMOTIVE REPAIRS, Unit 3 Roman Road, Royton OL2 5PJ . 0161 6278155 or mobile 07834180424.

Price is an issue i think about all the time, as i want business but dont want to over charge in anyway, but i cant charge forigner rates anymore, but i do try to keep them as low as i can but still be able to make a living out of it. For anyone that brings me a customer threw recommendation then the next time i see there car they will get a 20% discount. I have had flyers and business cards made which i do plan on dishing out to local lads to give to there family etc.

I also have photo's to upload in the next coming week so anyone can have a look at me and my empire lol.

Thanks for everyone's support, it really goes along way.

the guy does know his stuff when it comes to the mk4 along with most of the vag range. just started out on his own but already building up a very good reputation

quote stolen from a thank you thread on a forum

cheers for the extra info again,, yeah the garage in question is about 10 mins from me.....

anyone got a link for this shearwear on ebay ive spotted it before but cant find it now..

serivced the bora today forgot how much of a c%^$t the fuel filter can be to change specially when your doing it on the drive..

good job you didnt take it to VW. fuel filter is a lifelong part supposedly . thinking about doing mine in the summer as it will be just over 50k.

just enter vagcom or use the link below ;)
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=vagcom&_sacat=See-All-Categories

the free version is a bit of a pain as you cant do much with it, and with the crap exchange rate at the min your talking £70 to registrar it. i recently picked up a genuine serial cable for less that. and just incase your looking at them the newer usb genuine cables are around £205. but dont need registered software as the codes are in the cable

cool ill check it out seems worth the cash though...

QUESTION: ON THE 1.6 how come their its a massive space behind the battery its confusing me a bit as thier are mounts for summat!! i saw another 1.6 around my area today and i asked the owner if i could have a look in the engine bay same set up nothing their.

i think its allways worth changing the fuel filter on every service for the price of the filter the only down fall is its postioned right neer the jacking point and once the car is up its a bit of hard work to work around the jack. would be a doddle with a lift.

remember the bay is standard across the whole range so is used to take everything from the small weedy 1.4 up to the 3.2
the wife has a 1.6 and as you say theres a fair amount of space with the cover off,yet on my 1.8 there is next to no room at all

vagcom is definitely worth it - has allowed me to reset lights, check out fault codes, add / removed some softcoding ( open / closes with one button press rather than 2, anti hijack, bleep when locked, removed brake pad sensors )
also checked out a mates car a few times for him.
cable and license cost me around £75 when i originally went for my ebay special. dealers wanted £80 to scan

Question: the 2 monuting bolts for the front and rear calipers what size are they and are they a torx or spline fitment having real troubles removing the calipers as i think that they have not been removed sinse it left the factory...

think there M10 but have a stupid sized head on them so require a 18mm spanner rather than the normal 17mm for m10

can you give me the engine code and ill see what i can find as i know the 1.4,1.6 and 2.0 have a different brake setup to the higher powered models

why are you removing the callipers ? new pads, if so you might want to look at getting the hubs and brakes from a 1.8t

computers wanting to play funny beggers with me so tried to find the parts on ETKA

Ok ignore the above the m10 bolts are for the carrier to the hub, the pins for to remove the calliper on the FSIII ones are the same part numbers as on mine (well my old ones anyway)
if you remove the dust caps you should find that they are normal hex (allen key) drive. but they are 7mm if memory serves me correct. will go to the shed in a min to double check
still trying to get the other computer to play ball and see if it will allow me access to Elsawin

Last edited:
yeah cheers for serching got them all sorted today new disks and pads on all corners,
completed the body work on the front passenger arch and the rear drivers arch big up to my mate who helped...ill get it booked in for spray some point this week..
coilover kits arrive end of the week so nice job for the weekend....
once all the cosmetic works done need to look at trying to get a little more out of the engine.
any ideas????

finally got elsawin to work (wasnt seeing the virtual disc) proper workshop manuals for VAG ;)

just, 1.8t engine can be had or just over a grand, get an Aum engine and your looking at a better turbo that will map to 210. 100bhp gain for around a weeks labour, doing it yourself,
does mean changing the hubs to allow for better braking. the 1.6 runs the FSIII calipers which cant be cheaply upgraded. by fitting the hubs from the 1.8t you can run retty much all the better braking systems - 312mm discs and vw setup, 312mm and porsche (brembo) calipers, 325 with same callipers, 323 discs with leon brembos (same as the ferrari 355 callipers with slightly smaller pistons) or the 330mm discs with the golf r32 callipers - heaviest of the lot.

something else worth considering is fitting a rear anti roll bar