1.6 8v mk4

Eagleeyes

Car
Vw Golf 1.6
Hi im soon hoping to get a mk4 1.6 8v and im just wondering if theres much power to be had out the engines without spending stupid amounts because i see things like the c4 vts which is a 1.6 making 150bhp, i realise this is 16v, but surely it shouldnt make 50hp difference?

Or would it be a cheaper option to do an engine swap?

Also, are there any 16v conversion kits avaliable for the 1.6?

thanks.

the 1.6 was avalible in both 8 and 16v. - iirc its only round 5bhp more
and to be honest mate the wife has the 16v and its so sow its unbelievable

does the c4 vts not make 125 as standard ?

in short theres a few people supposed to be turbocharging the 1.6 other than this thers not much power without silly power. instead go for 1.8t

would it be easy to do an engine swap to put a 1.8 t in? are all the engine mountings the same?

also do you know any good breakers yards?

thanks

engine mounts are different on the 1.8t. its been done quite a few times. if your going to do it try and get a BAM engine from the S3, Cupra R or TT as these came with ether 210 or 225 bhp as standard.

not to hot on breakers yards mate theres a few around here but only 1 i would go to and theyve only got 1 golf in it

engine mounts will be different as 1.4 is a small block engine and 1.8 is big block. also fuel lines,pump, brakes, arb;s, suspension will all need upgrading. be cheaper to sell the car buy a gti and go from there. theres a BAM engine and box everytin you need for conversion for 800 on edition38 forum

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back