1.4s to 1.4tsi

ShowNoFear

Wrench Pro
Car
Vw Mark V Golf
Was reading on a forum a while back about a guy who had a 1.4 mkv golf, who then added the 1.4tsi system to it. He said it was a easy fix, just bolting on and adding a few small things with ease. Can this be done? What would have to be done for it too work?
Its a big jump from like 75bhp, too 122 standard.

would have thought there would be more to it than that.
the FSI system use direct injection where as the standard engines, think the 1.4 might be the only one left, inject prior to the intake valves.
the TFsi also use super and turbocharging this would require the map to get the best from it so the ECU would be needed as well
wouldnt say it would be as simple as bolt on the supercharger and turbocharger. whats the compression ratio of the 1.4 ? ( cant be bothered to hunt out the tech info on the computer at the min)

Obviously mapping it would give the best results.. i thought it was a bit too sounding simple. As with any turbo to an n/a conversion you would have to lower the compression ratio .. The tsi is 10.0:1..cant find out the standard 1.4 is. Lower a would imagine...soo?

no the Nasp car should have higher compression. turbos generally run the lower compression as theres more air being pushed into the cyliinder

10:1 is quite high for twin charger new the 2ltr turbo was around 10:1 as well.
shows that the FSI system has some major advantages.

the older 1.6 ran around 10.5:1 in standard injection and i think it could have been 11:1 under FSI but would need to double check

Sorry thats what i meant.
I googled it and read the page saying that it was high for the twincharger stratified injection. As im new to engines, why is 10.0:1 high?

The 2.0t running the same CR, which is weird.

See if you wanted more power for a tsi setup, if you increased the turbo, would you have to increase the charger aswell?

its to do with the volume of air being pushed into the engine by the charger. this air is then compressed which heats it up, think of a bike pump, this expands the air even more. if the compression is too high them the fuel thats in the mixture will pre-detonate.

going back to the 80s 8:1 was high for turbocharged engines. now most run high 9s:1 where Nasp engines can get as high as 11.5:1 (CTR is around this)

the 2 running the same compression isnt that weird. both are forced induction and running similer power per ltr

1.4 is 170 in top spec = 121 bhp/ltr
2.0 is 265 in top spec = 132 bhp/ltr

Best looking into this incase i plan on adding a turbo to my wee 1.4 lump lol.
CTR??? whats that?
Thats impressive stats for a wee 1.4.

civic type R

not heard of a turboed 1.4 but i belive it uses the same block as the 1.6 just different rods and crank. so there could be an idea for you do a search you might turn it up
not sure however if it was on the Mk4 site VWaudi Vortex i turned it up a while ago as the guy was trying to turbo the 1.6 for a laugh

Well a have no mechanical experience and my 1.4 is my daily driver so i dont want to gub it lol. So im buying a project car(200sx hopefully) to learn with. Are there are books or ebooks etc to learn about engines. Like when i open my bonnet of my mkv..i go WTH is all that lol ..

howstuffworks.com is a good starting place
search on the forum i think old-git has mentioned a few good books for those who want to gain really indepth knowlage

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back