1.4 Mk3 Astra Tuning Advice?

chrisfletcher

Car
1995 Astra 1.4
Now then everyone. Im new to this tuning stuff so bare with me haha. Ive just bought a 1995 1.4 astra F (Mk3) and was wondering if they are any simple ways of making the it quicker in the accelerator department.

Also does drilling an airbox make any difference, or is it just sound?

Cheers

Chris

hey and welcome to the site.

drilling the airbox will make more sound, and draw in hot engine air which isnt good for performance. get a decent cold air feed to it and you might have sightly more performance but i am talking literly a couple of bhp max, you will be lucky to get the same with a induction kit as well.

how much are you willing to spend to make it faster ? what age are you, for insurance purposes, you could always swap the engine

Yea would of bought a gti or something if insurance companies wearnt so crap. Would any air intake kits increase anything?

We've all been there, build up some no claims bonus and then you can go a bit mad with your choice of car. Enjoy a few years of cheap motoring though and save up. I wish I'd done that instead of spending so much money on my early cars.

air kits would possible give a very small increase at the top end, but lose lower down power

best option would be a panel filter in the airbox and lots of cold air going to it

yup it will give you 20000000000000000000000000000000bhp increase
and those things are getting cheapers still walk into maplins and you can get the same resistor for around 20p

its crap because it connects to a sensor - varies ones connect to, Maf, temp sensors,etc

basically it tells the ECU that its getting more air than normall, or that the engine is cold. ether way it makes it inject more fuel.

all youll find is that it might feel a little more responsive, but drink fuel and decrease the life of the engine.

buy cheap buy twice or you get what you pay for comes to mind

why do you think that remap companies charge around £200 for a new fueling map, which would give you around 7bhp when they could just chuck on one of these and say theres your 15bhp

live and learn mate.
as long as your next question isnt about the electric superchargers or ecotec valves ;)

You wont really get much power out the 1.4 i had a 1.4 single point injection put cone performance filter and cheery bomb exhaust backbox on it did feel a bit quicker but was not worth doing really this was before i found out cone filters where not good and draw hot air into engine the 1.4 multi point injection has got about 80bhp where as the other engine only has 60bhp the one i had could be revved alot could get 100mph in 3rd gear.

Last edited by a moderator: