1.4 gls astra 1996 mk3 80 ish bhp tuning advice?

yan

Car
astra mk3 1.4 gls
Hi, i am knew on here so hello to all the members, moderators etc.

i have just purchased my first project, being the car in the title. i have been reading various posts and was wondering if my car would be the hi torque version?

I am cosidering a transplant next year, but was also wondering with cam changing etc what power i could possibly get from this engine? i have already fitted a sports filter, a decat pipe and a sports back box, and just wondered what internal works i can hav done for maximum gain?

i am sorry if this question has been asked loads already.....

ps, this seems to be one of the best sites around, and the answers i have read in other posts have been excellent..........
regards..............Ian :D

hey and welcome to the site.
if your looking at changing the engine theres not much point in you spending thousands to get a small gain. lets say you spend 2 grand and only get 30 bhp, for the same money you could by a 2ltr turbo redtop which would give you effectavly a 120bhp gain.

for the current engine you could fit an exhaust manifold and centre pipe ( 2 bits youve not done on the exhaust yet ), fuel pressure regulator, higher lift cam, forged pistons and crank, rebore, bigger valves, throttle bodies, gas flowed head .
but like i say you could spend good couple of thousand for next to no gain along with a higher stressed engine

I think the Hi Torque was around 70 bhp. I agree with PG that an engine swap would be one of your best upgrade options.

What are the brakes like on your Astra, they were a bit wimpy on mine. Also I didn't have power steering which made it tough to drive.

hi, thanks for the replies guys - much appreciated.

Am defo going with the red top transplant idea, just gotta wait till later in year to save enough..

the brakes on my astra are ok, for the engine size, but will obviously have to uprgrade for the new engine, otherwise it might be messy trying to stop lol.

i am lucky enough to have power steering, i recently drove my brother in laws little pug 106, without power steering, i was worn out after a while, all that heavy turning...:) will post pics as my little project progresses.....:p