1.4 8v(1995) conversion to 1.4 or 1.6 sport

Kieronh

Car
corsa b
currently looking to change my 1.4 8v engine to either a 1.4 sport or a 1.6 sport engine. was hoping someone might be able to help out with some advice. im unsure if this will be a direct fit or if ill need new engine mounts ect. also would i be able to use my current gear box or would i need to use the one from the doner engine? any help on this will be appreciated, as my current engine is sounding more and more like its going to die, and i dont want to have to sell up on my corsa.

Go for the 1.6 engine, it's a real gem. It's almost the same engine i have in my astra and there's lots to do to them to get good power gains.

Though saying that i hear the 1.4 is almost as tunable but just from a lower starting point.

Last edited:
these engines had to be restricted as they were designed by lotus, the big restriction is the inlet manifold, you can buy aftermarket ones that are proven to add 15-20bhp. obviously couple this with your usual full exhaust system, 421 manifold etc and it will liven it up no end

report back once you have done it jake :), im going back alot of years now when my older bro had a corsa gsi, he did the inlet and full system etc and it was a fantastic motor.

cheers for the replies guy. ill start looking into the inlet manifold.
for putting the new engine in, what else am i guna need for the doner car appart from engine? i,e gearbox? ecu/wiring loom? (this will be my first engine conversion)
cheers for any advice