1.2 Corsa - 2.5 V6 Mondeo Engine Swap

RSmith

Torque Junkie
Car
Smart Fortwo Pas'n
Hi guys,

I bought an old 1997 Vauxhall Corsa with a blown head gasket for £150 off Autotrader about a week ago... just to fiddle around with.

I'm willing to delve into the unknown with an engine transplant... and I was thinking about swapping the 8V 1.2 4IL with a 2.5L 24V V6 from a Mondeo Ghia X.

Has anybody done anything like this or have any advice? It might seem a big ambitious engine swap but this is just a learning curve for me and I need to gauge how do-able it really is! Both engines have a manual FWD Transaxle so I can't see there being too much of a problem there. Thanks.

Anything is do-able but also consider the V6 lumps from the Calibra or Omega, you could use the 3.2 from the later MV6. It has been done before and parts can be swapped around to make it happen. If that were me I would go that route.

consider the V6 lumps from the Calibra or Omega

That looks like a really good idea. What about engine bay space? Do you think there would be enough room to fit the v6? Would it all link up to the driveshafts?

Also (nit-picky question...) I understand having a heavy v6 engine upfront in a little 800kg hatchback would encourage understeer, but would it be noticable?

Like I said, it has been done before so not that difficult if you're that way inclined. I know a few years back there was a feature car in Total Vauxhall. It might pay to search for such conversions. Courtenay Sport and Regal Autosport might have further info.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're swapping the engine then you'll obviously be uprating many other components. Suspension will help the understeer abit, along with alloys and decent tyres. You'd be a nutter not to to replace the brakes aswell.

If you're wanting a challenge, try converting it to RWD. If i still had my corsa i'd be going down that route.

If you're wanting a challenge, try converting it to RWD. If i still had my corsa i'd be going down that route.

I did think of that but I've heard it's costly, extremely difficult and untrustworthy once installed. How is it done?

From what i'm aware you would be moving the differential, depending on the engine the transmission might have to be moved, you'd need the rear axle from a chevette (most common) along with the sump.

If I'm honest it has been about 2 years since i looked into it, i'm sure migweb has more info about it. If it is done properly and no corners are cut/decent parts are used then it should be ok...even if you do encounter problems just remember that you will have a light corsa and a very fast engine, short wheel base and RWD so set up right it will be a very fun car to drive.

If you find any more info post it up, i'm sure at some point i'll want to try and convert the micra :lol:

There's alot of work to convert to RWD, tunnel fabrication, rear suspension mounts and links for the axle, the geometry must be spot on. There's the front suspension to sort, what type to go for? Propshafts to fabricate and balance, gearbox mounts and also engine mounts and bulkhead mods as the engine will be going from transverse to longitudinal.

A nice project but also a money pit and you'd need to be pretty clued up on welding and fabrication as well as engineering skills.

DO NOT TRY AND FIT A FORD ENGINE INTO A VAUXHALL!!! The cost in getting a V6 Ford engine to fit will not be cheap but as mentioned above the Vauxhall V6 into a Corsa has been done a few times now and suprisingly isn't that hard to do. Plus you can still use the Corsa gearbox (even though it wont last aslong) Regal and Courtenay both do a conversion kit for this very engine (2.5 or 3.0, mounts are all the same) and isn't that expensive.

If doing the conversion on something as small as a Corsa, dont think about changing the rear drums to disks as will lock the back end up very easily at speed (happened to 2 of my mates) so instead uprate the front and change all hoses for braded ;) Next do the suspension and that will be easy to do. Custom made exhaust to match the new engine and jobs a good'n.

If thinking about the rear wheel drive version, then think along the lines of the Vauxhall Omega (try and get a whole car and you will have everything very cheap for the conversion). The V6 engine in this car is mountewd traversly to enable the drive shaft to run to the back. If you get hold of a whole Omega car, you could swap the whole system over to the Corsa with a bit of chop and weld ;) Shorten the rear drive shaft and bobs ya uncle.

I've helped convert 4 Corsas over the years so if in doubt, just ask for help mate ;)

Thanks BAD63R!

I'll definitley give you a shout if I get stuck :amuse: ... I looked on the Courtenay website. They only seem to have prices for doing the conversion themselves. I'll probably just give them a call tomorrow. But thanks for your advice. I don't think I'll be changing it to RWD, just fitting the v6 upfront.