07 S-Type 2.7 diesel

Allan74

Car
Jaguar s-type
I have had this car from new and has now done 125,500 miles. On the way home today i put my foot down and suddenly a whirring noise and all dash lights came on and the engine cut out. Once parked i tried to start car briefly but the engine was spinning. Breakdown called but my garage cannot start to look at car for a couple of days anyone got any ideas. Cambelt changed 35,000 miles ago. Fully serviced throughout its life. Any ideas anyone?

If you have tried to restart and it sounds like the engine is turning over a lot quicker than normal i would suggest that the cambelt has failed or a tensioner has failed causing the belt to fail.
Fast turning over of engine is a sure sign of no cylinder compression.

I have just been told by my garage the crankshaft has snapped. I asked how much to fit second hand engine they quoted £3,500 another engine is at least £2200. So that's it my Jaguar days are over. I don't usually get so attached to cars but I am very sad to let this old girl go. Absolutely pristine, has MOT til Jan 18 if anyone wants offers please. lyudyandallan@gmail.com

Incredible. I feel your pain. I'm sure you can get a cheaper quote to fit another engine, but you're still looking at quite a bit for the engine itself. You'll get more selling it as parts than a rolling shell but you'd need storage space.