06 Accord SE more power

cheety

Car
Accord
Hi guys. I've just bought the above after 4 years of owning an EP3 Type R
The engine is basically the same, K20a/k20a2.
The Civic was 197bhp, whilst the Accord is a more sensible 153.
Is it possible to add an extra 20-30bhp to the accord without any major mods?
Cheers guys

Re: 08 Accord SE more power

Hi guys. I've just bought the above after 4 years of owning an EP3 Type R
The engine is basically the same, K20a/k20a2.
The Civic was 197bhp, whilst the Accord is a more sensible 153.
Is it possible to add an extra 20-30bhp to the accord without any major mods?
Cheers guys
welcome to tc, another honda head aboard
accords are a great car (i owned 3 of them) but funny enough for a honda, they fall apart if driven hard, their more of a comfort car

but to get 20 bhp without serious mods can be done.
oviously owning a type r yourself, you probably kniow to start with a good induction kit, then get ht leads and a full exhaust system,

that will see you get 20-30 bhp:D

great news thx, wasnt sure if I could get those gains. With the Civic the gains dont really show without ECU remapping (i.e Kpro)
I'm sure I'll pick things upas I go along

Hey, im new to this forum aswell. I have a Honda Accord 2.0 E its an 05 plate with 155BHP i too want to know the best way to add bhp but without doing too much stuff to the engine and for cheap aswell. I have been looking into air filters but there are so many. What air filter adds the most bhp?

Somebody Help!! :-/

Thanks

Asif

are the engines in the accord not different to the type r engines?
a remap will allow you to get the best from the gains you do anyway.
do you know if the cam profiles are different from the type r engine ? this could be a way of releasing extra power as well.

Asif - what kind of driving do you do ? for most applications a panel filter is best as it gives a small increase throughout the whole rev range
alot of hard driving (using the vtec alot) look towards cold air inductions kits (CAI). these will give a bigger gain at the top end, but in some applications lose lower end power. but be warned honda know what they ar doing with induction and its hard to improve on what theyve already done so expect to pay a premuim for this.

eg a good induction kit for my car costs around £160+ whereas a high low panel filter that fits in the standard airbox costs around £40

i think the cam angles differ quite wildly. On the Civic Type R the Vtec is a wild jump at 6000rpm, with a slight hesitancy upon changeover(unless u have Kpro).
I ran mine with a Comptech Icebox...muffles the Vtec but gives great gains, especially lower in the rev range

great news thx, wasnt sure if I could get those gains. With the Civic the gains dont really show without ECU remapping (i.e Kpro)
I'm sure I'll pick things upas I go along
the bigger the engine the easier to get as much bhp from such small mods

i got a jasma stainless steel exhaust for mine, going on tomorrow, cant wait to see what that does, people are saying 15 bhp

4 branch manifold (big pipes) into 2 bigger again and into 1 biggest of the lot, (its the 1 i got for 50 euros):D

is the Accord exhaust restrictive then? The Civic Type R exhaust wasnt

I think you have the engine code wrong. The Accord doesn't use a K20A. If it's a K series engine then it's the K24 which produces much more than 153bhp. Do you have the 2.0 litre or the 2.4 litre?

its the 2 litre. the whole engine layout is identical to my Civic Type r, apart from the red cam covers.
Even the fan belt pulley system is taken straight from the type R
just checked the manual...its a K20a6
by the way, my header was incorrect..its an 06 plate...not 08

Ah right, that threw me off.

Go for an exhaust system with a de-cat. Then get yourself a 4-1 manifold, I would go for a cold air induction as well. This should see you with a gain of around 15-30bhp. Don't just think power though, you could also improve the suspension to make the car handle better.

First and for most allways get the car breathing better exhaust thats a must.No point gaining bhp when its backing up in the exhaust.Dont know much about the accords but wondnt the cams be more aggresive from the type r than the accord and if its the same engine woundt that be a good swap.Me personally would go for better torque line then bhp power.No point having mega bhp when the car still weights a ton.