Abit of general help please.

choness2004

Torque Junkie
Car
Honda Civic EG
Hi guys,

Just wondering what order you did everything when it came to passing your test.

The parents seem to think the best order is:
1) Get my previsional
2) Pass my theory
3) Do my driving lessons
4) Pass my test
5) Go and buy my first car

Now I hope that number 3 and 4 are in the right place otherwise I will never get anywhere.

Any advice on the order list and what they think is the best way to do it. And also knowing the way all you did it would be a great help!

Thanks all,

Corey.

only thing i would change would be 2 & 3, start lessons before you do your theory, instructor will help you with questions that arise and having a small amount of experience on the road will help you especially with the hazard perception part.

link to official theory practice site, you just need to register first then you can have 2 free trys (suppose if you change registraion details ie email address you could have more ;))

http://www.theory-tests.co.uk/register

Last edited:
Are your parents prepared to take you out to gain some extra experience before you take your test? (Are you prepared to go out with them for that matter? Other friends/relatives?)

If so, I'd buy the car before taking the test, and use that to gain experience.

Also, I'd say take the theory test as late as possible. It only lasts about 2 years, so taking it later helps if you fail your practical the first time.

One downside to buying the car before you pass is renewal time. You will not have held a full licence for a year so your second year cost will be higher than if you waited and got your car as soon as you passed.

Take the theory just before the full test and get lessons as soon as you can. Space the lessons out. I think people learn more quickly with short lessons with gaps between them rather than 2 or 3 long lessons in a block.

Take the test in the car you learn't in, the last thing you want is to have to get used to another car.

For me, I learnt the basic theories back in the sixth grade, and learnt driving when I was in grade eight with the family car. Passing the test (as in applying for a license) is still a good few years now. And buying my first car is even further away. :)