Changing gears often or infrequently

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How often do you change gears?

Some drivers seem to be always changing up and down and other tend to stick it in a gear (versigear usually 3rd) and do as much as they can in that gear?

What are the advantages and disadvantages to frequent gear changes? Have you ever driven a car with a really narrow power band and been forced to make lots of gear changes?

Do you prefer nice long gearing and power bands or lots of shifts and a narrow power band?

Mine's pretty good and is quite lazy in 5th for a nice cruise to work. However it is a different matter when it is being 'used' as it has to be in the vis power band to get it singing. When pushed it is superb but when I require a sedate drive it is equally pleasing to drive. I suppose I am quite lucky in that respect that it is a well balanced car. When on an economy run I keep it under 3k with frequent changes through town but when on long country roads it is happy in 5th at around 45-50mph.

The only downside for frequent changes is extra wear on the master and slave clutch cylinders, if fitted. If gentle then should not be an issue but then some people like stamping on their pedals! (not me I might add!)

As little as possible.

Less wear and tear on the clutch, clutch plates, gearbox etc. = less maintainance = lower costs.

Diesel engines require more frequent changes than petrol ones generally. The higher a diesel's torque and power is tuned, the narrower the band in which that optimized performance is achieved. This can lead to constant changes to get the best from it.

I've been driving very little recently since RTA on 24 June this year and I'm using the little 1.9D non-turbo Ibiza we have here.

It's truly flexible - there's little performance on offer anyway but it will stand 2-3-4-5 anywhere above 25mph!!

But it is slow. - It's the old fashioned type of diesel car.

My remapped 406 2.2 HDi (which has been declared a total loss by insurers following the accident mentioned above) was very high geared. You'd not bother with 5th much below 65mph.

Modern petrol engines are very tolerant indeed - they'll pull from idle in any gear.

But potentially using much more petrol that could easily outweigh the financial benefits of not changing gear

Ought to qualify my statement then :p

In my own car, I'll use 2nd to accelerate as far as possible (can reach 50 after all) then shift appropriately - 30 zone = 3rd, 40 zone = 4th, 50 zone = 5th, 60 or 70 = 6th - thus saving (potentially) 3 gear changes.

Work wagons are a bit different (gearing is much shorter, 2nd only goes to 35) so give an clear run, it'll be either 2nd-3rd, 2nd-4th or 2nd-3rd-5th.

On a road with "speed cushions" (spit!) or "speed bumps", I'll be going over them at 10-20mph in 2nd. Between the humps, I'll accelerate but not change gear. Saves 2 gear changes per hump.

A clutch alone (for my car anyway) is £150. If you can change it yourself it's fairly cheap, but otherwise you need labour - probably 5 hours at £50 per hour for £250? Total is £400. Difficult to give a clutch a lifetime in terms of use but shall we say 10,000 depressions? 4p per change.

In the "wrong" gear, lets say we get 25mpg, and 50mpg in the "right" gear. If your drive in the "wrong" gear for no more than 0.5 miles, it will use just over 0.09L, whilst in the "right" gear it will use just under 0.05L

At £1.10 per litre, that's 10p in the "wrong" gear and 5p in the "right gear" - difference of 5p.

Not much - but it saves 1p per change with those assumptions.

'Wrong gear' syndrome does exacerbate wear on everything. REvving to the red line is no big deal if the car's maintained properly and you only do so when the engine's warmed up fully.

Under revving, or labouring the engine can cause bottom end damage.

Sitting in 5th gear at 35mph in a tall geared car is not good.

I didn't know they went that low! Most idle around 600-800! :eek:

That's exactly my point - some people force the engine below idle. This is silly.

All engines are different but there's little to gain driving way below the engine's effective rev range. Fuel atomisation and mixing is poor which can lead to indifferent economy.