making driving safer and easier

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
ok then i thought i would appeal to all you other drivers out there to make driving safer and easier for other drivers
by members listing things they see daily that are dangerous, stupid and things that generaly just stop us getting to our destination as quickly as possible!!!
now i dont need members admitting to anything listed but if you do do anything listed please take note and dont do it anymore :bigsmile:

ok then ill start with a few

1, if you want to drive well below the 70mph limit on a motorway please stick to the inside lane and not the midle or outside (cause this is both anoying and dangerous!!!)

2, if you tootle along on the inside lane on the motorway and you have lorrys gaining on you fast and then they overtake you please dont use the motorway!!!! (cause you are more of a danger than someone speeding!!!)

3, if you pull out of a junction try and get to the posted speed limit as quickly as possible (cause yet again this is annoying and can be dangerous!!!)

4, if you drive a slow/underpowerd car and you get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle on a national speed limit road and you know your car will never get past. please leave a gap between you and the slow moving vehicle instead of driving up its arse so that the car behind you can get passed you safely and then the slow moving vehicle

5, on islands if you do insist on not going round the island and going straight over the other vehicles lane please check your mirrors first cause i am noticing this alot more and when you pap your horn they seem oblivious that they are in the wrong

please feel free to add more

and yet again if you do any of the above please dont from now on

All very good points.

Also, please try and make your indication confirm your intentions, not conflict with those that your (poor) positioning has conveyed.

All very good points.

Also, please try and make your indication confirm your intentions, not conflict with those that your (poor) positioning has conveyed.

to add to this if you are turning right in to a side road and you move over to the middle of the lane to let cars behind you get passed (we all thank you for this!!!!) but please dont veer back to the left as the car is passing you on the inside ;)

When using roundabouts that are also in use by other road users you need to stick to the correct lane as described in the Highway Code or otherwise dictated by the road markings and road signs.

Do NOT perm 2 from 3, for example.

If you are pulling out onto a main road I happen to be driving along and there is a gap after me then please wait till I pass and pull out into the gap. I can only afford so many brake pads.

When passing parked cars on your side of the road please give way to oncoming traffic as they DO have right of way.
Also on the note of roundabouts please remember that it is give way to your right.

Last edited:
When passing cars on your side of the road please give way to oncoming traffic as they DO have right of way.
Also on the note of roundabouts please remember that it is give way to your right.
slightly edited for emphasis!!!!
cause this is also a daily annoyance!!!!:bigsmile:

With regard to roundabouts you also need to consider that vehicles already negotiating the roundabout have right of way over you, regardless of your direction of approach. It's not a race to get to the give way lines first.

Mini-roundabouts are very hard in this respect. You're not necessarily required to drive around them as such. Their purpose it to control and regulate the flow of traffic. The rules of right to passage are similar to a proper roundabout despite the fact that they're small.

Perhaps this is why the USA is largely devoid of them. Traffic lights clarify everything.

Good one Herb. :)

c6aa5bde.jpg

Never, ever take any risk on level crossings, it's simply not worth it, the stopping distance of a train is far, far greater than that of a car or lorry.

If your taking the first exit off an island please indicate. Otherwise I will hunt you down like the dog you are & shove the indicator stalk up your nose.

Indicate when changing lanes, see threat above.

This is an expansion of a previous one,
When coming off the motorway don't slow down until your off the motorway. Lorry Drivers really don't see the funny side when you cut in front of them & then slow down to fifty mph before the exit ramp.

Stopping on a busy main road & causing an obstruction to the already congested flow of traffic, to answer your bleeding mobile phone is not helping matters.

Look in your mirrors before opening your door, honestly it's that easy.

Passing points on narrow lanes are not for you to stop to eat your beef paste sarnies & weak flask tea while enjoying the view. While I'm at it, Just because it's a quiet country lane doesn't mean you should pay less care as to where you park the car on the side of the road.

If the car in front has slowed down, look ahead for a reason before charging round. It's probably to let that bus through, you know the one you're now face to face with, after you rushed past. Numpty.

Yellow hatching at traffic lights,
Simply, don't go into the box if the exit occupied.
So if your turning right at traffic lights & the exit is clear that means you can go into the box. Not sit there until the lights change SO ONLY ONE CAR (YOURS) GETS THROUGH!!!

ooh that's better. :amuse:

Yellow hatching at traffic lights,
Simply, don't go into the box if the exit occupied.
So if your turning right at traffic lights & the exit is clear that means you can go into the box. Not sit there until the lights change SO ONLY ONE CAR (YOURS) GETS THROUGH!!!

ooh that's better. :amuse:

I'd like to reinforce that by saying it applies to ALL cross-roads and t-junctions with or without the cross-hatching. Trouble is, now that everyone thinks it only applies on yellow box junctions, they also seem to think that it's OK to cock-up other junctions.

Mini-cab drivers. Please don't drift along roads at 10 mph whilst peering off to the left trying to suss out door numbers - well not while I'm behind you anyway! Park and walk the rest of the way, you lazy bas****s!

One for pedestrians, stay on the pavement and don't stand in front of moving cars.

They will hit you. It will hurt. You will bleed, then you will die.

(See I kept it to simple words so they will understand!)

Mini-roundabouts are very hard in this respect. You're not necessarily required to drive around them as such. Their purpose it to control and regulate the flow of traffic. The rules of right to passage are similar to a proper roundabout despite the fact that they're small.

Uh-uh. The only vehicles that can drive over mini-roundabouts are PSVs (buses and coaches) and HGVs, because most of the time they have to anyway.

Anything else and you *can* lose your licence over it.

The one that bugs me is folks who don't watch the road markings at junctions, and either change lane at the last minute or worse, change lane on the junction itself.

If a vehicle in front of you brakes, you brake as well - certainly don't freeze up because the vehicle says "ambulance" on it! (Fortunatley, I was empty and it was only a P406 I was driving, nothing important :p)

Good point about mini-roundabouts - I'd forgotten, if indeed I ever knew, that you're supposed to steer round them not through them - I've been letting my back wheels trail over them for years (or worse). That's the trouble with passing your test decades ago - does anyone really buy a new copy of the HC at regular intervals? Judging by the number of white vans standing on Cyclist's Advance Stop Lines, I think I've answered my own question. Makes note to self - buy a copy!

Personally, I think that introducing a mini-roundabout on what was a T-junction is just asking for trouble. The drivers used to driving down the 'old straight bit' just plough on through as if it's their property (after all, 'New Road Layout Ahead' doesn't apply to locals does it? :blink1:) and anyone turning right into what was the side road upholding their rights to priority needs nerves of steel and one foot covering the brake pedal. One near us has an appeal for witnesses about every week.

On cross-roads, they seem to work better, but even then, the cycnic in me sees them merely as a cheap splat-of-paint alternative to traffic lights, which at least give pedestrians a chance of staying alive too.