Cars verses Vans

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Having driven a Vivano van through some twisty country lanes I must say I was impressed with the handling.

Why should the handling on a Van be any where near as good as a car they are bigger and heavier after all? Or are they?

You also feel much safer in a van and have a great view ahead.

The most recent van that caught my eye was this one! There have been a few interesting vans over the years, the Ford Transit F1 etc.

My first car was a Marina van, also had a Transit and a Bedford CF350 with Rover V8 power, all good fun and yes very good visibility. Don't forget a van is designed to carry a load, those 'we' car drivers tend to use are always empty and pretty rapid! I used my old works van a few times, a Merc Sprinter and that was quick!

I've always thought that a smart van, or even better, a pick-up would make a great second vehicle and something to be tarted up without remorse. It would, I reasoned also be bloody useful for taking stuff to the 'tip', until I discovered that they charge for vans as commercial vehicles, whereas a fully loaded hatchback gets in for nothing!

I can't imagine an empty Van being heavier than a car - there's bugger all of it. Yes it's tall, but again, empty - it's all pretty light side panels up there. Most of the weight is pretty low down.

I'm surprised to hear it has good handling, not due to weight but those big flat sides aren't every aerodynamic good gust of wind at high speeds and it'll fall over no? and they have fairly high ground clearence don't they? plus nose heavy in an empty van. SO I don't really see how they'd be good at handling, I've never driven one but I doubt I'd wana push it *shrugs*

4motion (Torsen) keeps alot of it in toe, and a reasonable ARB as stock. Even on stock springs it was able to out-gun an RX-8 round brands.

Saw the VW on fifth gear last week, Tiff & wotshisface, lantern jaw, ex F1 driver oh I don't know, him anyway were ragging it round a track somewhere. God I'm concise today. :amuse:

Last edited:
Saw the VW on fifth gear last week, Tiff & wotshisface, lantern jaw, ex F1 driver oh I don't know, him anyway were ragging it round a track somewhere. God I'm concise today. :amuse:

Are you getting old or have early signs?.....................no need to answer that :blink1:

Are you getting old or have early signs?.....................no need to answer that :blink1:
rofl.gif