Which is faster RWD or 4x4?

If all else are equal, namely power, weight (although the 4wd system will be much heavier), tire size, etc. the RWD is faster in innitial acceleration. The inertia at rest of a 4wd car is much greater than that of a RWD car. However if we are talking about top speed, i do not have a definite answer. Perhaps the 4wd is faster due to the momentem the 4wd system will offer, feel free to correct me if I am wrong=)

4 wheel drive is infact slower on the top end than rear wheel drive. On a normal road a 4 wheel drive car will get away a little quicker off the lights.
But on a drag strip the start is covered in glue on most strips so they can get away at roughly the same time. The 4 wheel drive system looses quite abit of power so rear wheel drive will be faster.

4 wheel drive is infact slower on the top end than rear wheel drive. On a normal road a 4 wheel drive car will get away a little quicker off the lights.
But on a drag strip the start is covered in glue on most strips so they can get away at roughly the same time. The 4 wheel drive system looses quite abit of power so rear wheel drive will be faster.

Just briefly, regarding 1/4 mile times and specifically 60ft times, which are the best indication of traction from a standstill. A quick comparison:

A Bugatti Veyron, with 1001bhp, and 4WD, will 60ft between 1.8 and 2.2 seconds (the numbers vary depending where you look). A 500hp RWD car will 60ft in about 1.5-1.7 seconds.

My point is, 4WD wont get you off the line quicker than RWD. It may help in corners, but given that this is posted in the drag racing area of the forum, it seems more appropriate to talk about straight line traction.

In a situation on a gravel covered road, at that point, 4WD may be preferencial, as the same amount of power can be applied through 4 contact patches instead of 2. It really all depends what kind of surface you're driving on.

Certainly I'd go for RWD every time, that's how I've been brought up, and it works better for the racing I do.

I know this buddy. On a normal road though a rear wheel drive car is gonna spin off the line. Thats all I was sayin. On track I know there is no real contest.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back