Puddles.

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
Right seeing as it hasn't stopped raining here all day thought i'd ask what people do when they come across a puddle in the road? Now round here some roads are like rivers up one side from the drains overflowing. But my question is.
Do you avoid puddles or just drive through them? If there was traffic coming the other way and the puddle was on your side of the road would you stop and wait to go around it or would you just drive through it?

My mate done that in his van last summer. Was going through a big puddle along the whole width of the road, when a truck came zomming through it from the otherway, drenching the van in water, making it cut out instantly. They got out and the puddle was around 8 inches deep, they pushed it out and luckily he was a tranie mechanic for a couples years so he was able to get it going again, something about the airfilter he done something with that.!

i go throught them i dont think you can beat going through a puddle and getting the water nice and high lol

as long as it does not go in your intake your ok and just dont stop

did it once on my old scooter puddle was much deeper then i thought then there was a pot hole in the middle of it 1 i nearly fell off 2 it was over the foot board thing lol

Normally I plow through them, but since I fitted the BMC filter I'm a little paranoid about the cold air feed, as it's behind the bumper, it's not low but it's enough to make me think Twice! :lol:
The works van is a different story, no puddle is safe. :amuse:

But if it's three feet deep then it's not a puddle. More like a pond. ;)

And therein lies the problem. The surface of a vessel filled with water is level regardless of the geometry of the bottom of the vessel.

Try driving along a flooded road. The water surface is level on the road and is also level with that which fills the [now invisible] ditches to either side of the road. THe problem is identifying what is road and what isn't.

I've actually fallen foul of this in Feb 1988 and tipped a LandRover Series 2 onto it's side in Beauleigh, Hampshire

Last edited:
And therein lies the problem. The surface of a vessel filled with water is level regardless of the geometry of the bottom of the vessel.

Try driving along a flooded road. The water surface is level on the road and is also level with that which fills the [now invisible] ditches to either side of the road. THe problem is identifying what is road and what isn't.

But like I said if the road is flooded it's more of a pond than a puddle. Everyone has to take care on a flooded road but I wanted people's thoughts about going through puddles not rivers buddy. ;)

well er ............................. :) biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig splash

3564633450a5692977500l.jpg

So where does a puddle end and a lake begin?

A puddle is something you can roughly judge how deep it is. If you can't see how deep it is (ie if the whole road is flooded) then it's the start of a pond. What i'm trying to say is if the water was on your side of the road only and you could judge how deep it is, Would you go through it or wait for the traffic and go around.
Why do you have to look so deep into things all the time. ;):lol::lol::lol::lol:

Go round.

It's fun to go through, but you just don't know what's under there.

Around here, the Thames is still tidal, so in the Richmond and Twickenham areas there are no end of prime 'parking streets' marked "Warning - Area Liable To Flooding". It's easy to assume that this only applies to winter, but you do so at your peril.

A friend of mine wrote off his Peugeot 406 diesel after rounding a corner near a slip-way, thinking, "It's OK it's got no ignition to get wet", and ploughed on regardless into what was probably 18" of water, only to get water ingested into the engine via the air intake. Now as we know, water is damn-near incompressible, and given the VERY high compression ratio of a diesel.....well you can guess the rest. Fortunately it was a very old car with very high mileage, but having to replace it came at just the wrong moment for him.

I try to avoid them. I had a car stall on me after a big splash so it's made me more careful.

In the Passat I go round them, unless they're pathetic little things in which case I just slow up a bit. I'm terrified of one of the many many electrical things under that impossible to work in engine bay, going funny.

In the Landie - as long as it doesn't look like I am going to aquaplane the instant I hit it, then a big splash is awsome fun :bigsmile:

It's also got a 0.5m approved wading depth... although having been around flooded lanes with my father in his - I know they'll pass considerably more - although he did nearly get washed away by a strong current once!

during monsoon season around here you can't find a dry road. :) the wife like to take it nice and slow in her pontiac, me and the burb just go through em. once was going down a road in my dodge caravan (minivan) that had washes that ran acrost it. hadn't rained in about a week so thought i was safe. hit a wash going about 80. only thing that saved me was i just skipped across the surface. had a big 4x4 stop and turn around. poor guy drove back 45 miles to the freeway for 2 feet of water.

A friend of mine wrote off his Peugeot 406 diesel after rounding a corner near a slip-way, thinking, "It's OK it's got no ignition to get wet", and ploughed on regardless into what was probably 18" of water, only to get water ingested into the engine via the air intake.

I almost did something similar to a work 406. Went through a puddle a bit too fast and just about killed it. Took about 30 mins for it to recover.