Replacing standard clio 14" with ClioSport 16"

jefflucas28

Tuner
Car
2000 Clio S 1.4i 8v
Does anyone know if i need to adjust ride height? Will the car sit 'high' if i replace the standard 14's with ClioSport 172 16"?

Potentially purchasing set of 4 from Clio 2000 172 tomorrow for £175. Am i right in thinking this is a good deal?

Thanks again. Jeff:confused:

done a search the alloys should be 195/45/16
if this is right the tyre height 87.75mm x 2 (top and bottom) is 175.5mm

16" is 406.4mm
so wheel and tyre is 581.9mm.

got a feeling that this might be a bit bigger than what the 14 with normal tyres.
you might get by better with low profile tyres 195 / 40 this will reduce the wheel/tyre width to 562mm

EDIT
----

done another search standard for 14" steels on a 2003 is 165/65/14
is this is correct then tyre/wheel width is 570mm.

you should get away with this just bear in mind that your speedo will be out slightly, and next time you need tyres go for the low proiles

Last edited:
Ok, slightly confused now but checked on tyres just now and it reads 175/60/r14. I think this might be a rare tyre size, i'm sure i recall reading somewhere that these tyres were fairly expensive as they were hard to come by or something.

Dont know if this helps?? 175, is this wider than a standard 14" tyre?

Thanks again

yeah each tyre is 10mm wider

the first part 175- is the width of the tyre
2nd part 60 - is the width of the sidewall expressed as a % of the width, in this case 105mm
3rd part r14 - is for the wheel size 14"

ok using 175/65/14 the tyre/wheel will be 565mm.youd really need to put the low profiles on the 16" to keep it close as the 195/45/16 put them as 2.88% bigger
low profile 195/40/16 puts them at 0.007% smaller almost identical

yeah each tyre is 10mm wider

the first part 175- is the width of the tyre
2nd part 60 - is the width of the sidewall expressed as a % of the width, in this case 105mm
3rd part r14 - is for the wheel size 14"

ok using 175/65/14 the tyre/wheel will be 565mm.youd really need to put the low profiles on the 16" to keep it close as the 195/45/16 put them as 2.88% bigger
low profile 195/40/16 puts them at 0.007% smaller almost identical

Thing is i'd like to avoid low profiles as im aware it affects the ride (very bumpy/noisy), do you think the only other way around the possible 'high ride height' would be to lower the springs say 25/30mm ??

I think im gonna just have to wait and see what happens when i put them on.:confused::confused:

to be honest the 40's arnt too bad i actualy prefer my low 17" with the low profiles compared to the standard 16" standards, which are back on at the min due to the icey weather

ok i found out the wheels are actually 15" clio sports standard from the 2000 model. I'm actually quite glad because i didnt want to go too big as 1. it would look unatural 2. tyre would cost more and 3. they may not fit in the arches etc.

the tyre measurement is 195-50-15. Do you think these will be a straight swap with no other adjustments??

Thanks again

waynne i've just used the alloy calculater, its come out as a difference of 32.68mm. Du think my speedo will be out by much ?

Thanks again

It will be out by the percentage difference so if it is 10% bigger your speedo will be out by 10%

Divide the new size by the old one then multiply by 100 to get the percentage. ;)

Got the wheels yesterday. To confirm they are 15's and look the business. Fitting them on sat when i plan to post some before and after pics. Thanks for everyones help.

Jeff

what can i say, i couldn't wait any longer and fitted the wheels tonight. They look like they were fitted as standard.

Steering is slightly heavier but handling and grip is much stronger, and once u hit 80mph it feels like you're gliding! Posting pics asap.