Current Diesel prices.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How much was Diesel when you last filled up? (Similar thread going in the general forum for petrol!)

Global oil Prices have just dropped to a 5 month low, so expect a further drop at the pumps in the next few weeks.

I had the shock of my life when i went into a garage today and found it cost me 10 ponds less than usual to fill up my clio.It was 110.9p a l in a jet garage.

I've just paid 118.9 for BP Ultimate - only needed half a tank but still £45 quid! Better than the £109 quid I paid for a full tank a couple of months ago.

When prices were going up, the price differential seemed to be keeping pace, so that diesel was maintained at a 10% margin dearer.

Now that they're going down, unless it's my imagination, the margin is getting wider. Last night my local garage was charging 95p for petrol and 109p for diesel. That makes diesel about 15% dearer.

It would seem that diesel's not coming down as fast as petrol.

Last edited:
Yup. Shameless profiteering. I'm sure they'll claim that demand for diesel has increased or something like that.

Fuel usage and demand at Christmas always peaks. Production has been stepped down so the over supply and low barrel price will quickly turn into under supply and high barrel price. Winter also increased the need for electricity and gas both of which are linked to oil supplies.;)

Plus there are 200 million barrels (or so) just been hijacked in a ship off Africa. Which won't help.

Fuel usage and demand at Christmas always peaks. Production has been stepped down so the over supply and low barrel price will quickly turn into under supply and high barrel price. Winter also increased the need for electricity and gas both of which are linked to oil supplies.;)

Plus there are 200 million barrels (or so) just been hijacked in a ship off Africa. Which won't help.
you certinally do your homework:lol:

It doesn't help of course, when you learn that out of 27 EC members, only two countries have diesel priced higher than petrol, and the award for the highest margin goes to...........oh you guessed.

Mind you, I'm doing all I can to bring my own rate of inflation down, with the Shell Credit card form Citibank. 1% cashback from everything else, and 3% cashback for using Shell filling stations. All the cashback then gets creditted to your next Shell purchase. Don't ask me what the APR is - I only use it for fuel and pay it off every month. Still it's better than nothing. I'm not a high mileage user, so between Tesco 5p off coupons (also attracting 1% cashback with my card) and the Shell discount of 3%, I'm not paying full whack for anything at the moment.

Last edited:
89.9??? Very good prices you've got there. 98.* around here at the mo.

Mind you, look at the date the previous poster said it was 89.9. Bet it's more like your 98.9 now! According to petrolprices.com, my cheapest is also 98.6, but my nearest garage, a Shell station, has it at 99.9 (with unleaded at 89.9) - with my Shell Credit Card, I can get diesel for 96.9. Yes, it looks like the price reduction honeymoon is over again, with the 'usual' trend applying. Oh yes, and 2p more duty to come in April - woohooo, I love tax. (Spot the error in this last statement)

UPDATE 16/05/09 The 2p tax increase seems to have been half swallowed by maybe a 1p price decrease, as my nearest and cheapest Shell station is now 100.9.

Last edited: