Drifters Please Read This

Doughnutter

Wrench Pro
Just been got in from a night down in Essex with some mates watching the drifting ;) Great night but unfortunately I saw something that pissed me off a great deal. People had been putting oil down on some of the roundabouts so they can drift better. This is probably the worst thing I ever seen down there to date. I do not condone street drifting at all, keep it to the track, but if you do deceide to participate in a bit of midnight drifting please DO NOT PUT OIL ON PUBLIC ROADS to help you. You are putting lives at risk. If that was your missus, daughter, mum or anyone else that got injured or killed how would you feel? I know this practice has gone on in carparks and private land (especially with the burn out boys) but for F***'s sake lads lets KEEP IT OFF THE ROADS. Wait till its wet and then try if you have too. The midnight drift lads try their best to stay out of the way of "civilian" drivers and keep things safe, hence why they are out late at night. Incidently the story has it that the Old Bill nicked the 7 lads who put it on the road. Prob lucky to get off with a ban but if theres a fatal accident there and it's linked to that....... who knows.

Definately a manslaughter charge at the very least. Thanks for the heads up - this sort of stupid behaviour is not tolerated.

These are the kind of kiddies that can't afford insurance,tax,and then get told off with a slap on the wrist,

I saw a kiddy trying to drift with a 316!!!!!!!!, i wanted to go a give him a good smack,

i cant beleive that, but then again its essex lol. imagine, going to work in the morning your a bit late so you decide to put your right toe down a bit more that normal, get to the roundabout then, WOOOAAAAHHHH right into the barrier, all cos some idiot cant drift so they try an make a slick drift track on public roads, in my eyes there's not much more dangeorus than that.

silly b*5tards what gets me is that even when theyve been fined theyr still better off than most driver, they shud shaft 'em for 4 grand or summit not 200 quid, then make em clean it up
icon13.gif

Sadly there are still reports of kids in bashed up cars drifting on the streets!

Perhaps cars with welded diffs should be banned from the roads? Most drifters will trailor a car to the track. Isn't it always the case that a mindless minority give the sport a bad name.

this story makes me glad i don't have any roundbouts where i live. we used to drift in parking lots back home, but could never figure out why people would want to lose thier cars for it. cali really cracked down on any type of racing, you get caught they crush your car. maybe you all should suggest that to the local law enforcement

*at least in the socal area that is

this story makes me glad i don't have any roundbouts where i live. we used to drift in parking lots back home, but could never figure out why people would want to lose thier cars for it. cali really cracked down on any type of racing, you get caught they crush your car. maybe you all should suggest that to the local law enforcement

*at least in the socal area that is

if you make an example out of a few of them, it might make them think a little!:blink:

pgarner, with a welded diff, if you try to reverse park or parallel park you would get some funny looks and it would be, lets just say interesting :p

ill try and find out the exacts tomoro, well today when i wake up lol

How do you tell if the diffs been welded, without opening it up ?
Get it to drive in a circle - the inner wheel will skip and skid as it rotates at the same rate as the outside one but has less ground to cover. It does look fairly obvious especially on gravel.

Get it to drive in a circle - the inner wheel will skip and skid as it rotates at the same rate as the outside one but has less ground to cover. It does look fairly obvious especially on gravel.

A decent 2 way locking diff like a Kaaz or the likes will skip and scuff exactly the same as a welder.

Good point! Steerfromtherear I wasn't trying to differentiate from a locking diff and welded one, but re-reading my post it looks as if I was trying to ;) the two achieve the same result, one costs more than the other and will probably last longer.

I have an auto locking diff on my A3 which is a slightly different animal (FWD anyway though :( ). I wonder though if you can get a switchable diff? Any one got a clue on this?

I've only heard of air lock ones like some off roaders have. It has been discussed once or twice with regards to drift use but no-one has done it yet. I guess because if you have no budget you weld it, if you have some budget you buy a 2 way and we all know that works just fine.

People who drift just a little bit just for fun at practice days and the like will find a oem LSD unit will do fine until you want to get competetive. There's normally one version of each car model that a lsd can be robbed from if you havent got one as stock.

I had an old 200sx with what I found out had a welded diff. First time i tried to turn in the road i almost died. Wondered what the hell was going on with the wheels! Still was good fun round Snetterton though.

As for the whole oil on the roads business. Complete wasters. I think they should stick to McDonalds trays and fairy liquid like they used to. At least that wasnt on the road.

I had an old 200sx with what I found out had a welded diff. First time i tried to turn in the road i almost died. Wondered what the hell was going on with the wheels! Still was good fun round Snetterton though.

As for the whole oil on the roads business. Complete wasters. I think they should stick to McDonalds trays and fairy liquid like they used to. At least that wasnt on the road.

Please do not drift on McDonalds trays...... It's dangerous for one and they burn through to quickly for another.;)

On a serious note though drifting or any other form of Motorsport should be kept within the confines of a track or other off road location which has Marshall, Officials and Medical staff. Racing on public roads whatever kind it is, is just down right silly and dangerous period....