Spoilers

Prince

Torque King
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
Spoilers are used to create downforce on the rear on the vehicle. But forgetting the idea of spoilers, think about what look you like best. Do you like a big chunky spoiler, a small subtle one, or no spoiler at all?

Make your decision.

Spoilers are used to create downforce on the rear on the vehicle. But forgetting the idea of spoilers, think about what look you like best. Do you like a big chunky spoiler, a small subtle one, or no spoiler at all?

Make your decision.

Spoilers do what their name suggests. They 'spoil' the air flow. By doing so, they reduce any lift generated by low air pressure flowing over the back of the car (ignoring front spoilers here). The don't actually create downforce. For downforce a properly designed wing is required. This has an aerofoil cross-section but, instead of creating lift as when used on a plane, it is inverted and so creates 'negative lift' or downforce. The problem with this is drag is also produced, so they will help in bends (properly designed wings, not the sort sold in go faster mags) but slow you down on the straights (especially the sort sold in go faster mags!).

The sort of 'spoilers' sold to car modifiers, although looking a little like wings, are so badly designed that they will act as a spoiler; breaking up the airflow so possibly reducing lift (if there is actually a low pressure area to deal with at the spolier's position) but will greatly increase drag. Look at the Skylines running at the TOTB meets. For the top speed runs they remove their huge 'spoilers'.

Being of the very old school, I adhere to the philosophy of only fit it if it has a use, then deal with making it look right. Of course, this 'use' could be purely for cosmetic effect, but don't then expect, or claim, performance improvements.

Now, what was the question? Oh, yes, what do I prefer? Fit for Purpose. Subtle.

I had the same lect.... um advice when he saw my article on the main site! :lol: (Its so annoying when he's right though isn't it! ;))

I like the big DTM scaffold spoiler but only on nice big saloon cars. An Integra for example.

I've got a small one at the moment, it looks nice, but know I'm bored of it and getting the evo one.
It looks quite big and chunky but then so is the car so I'm hoping it will suit.

I would prefair a big chunky on on sumthing like an EVO, a small lip type on a HOT HATCH and a touring style on somthing like an RX7
^^Just for styling^^

I dont see the point of a big spoiler if all it does is generate unessasary drag (if i am going for performance)