i30 from AU

Beni30

Car
2010 i30 Hatch CRDi
Hi All,
Diesel tuning here in Western Australia (the best state in Australia XP) has been around for a while but seems to be prevalent more in the 4WD scene which is big over here.
Modern electronic controlled common rail turbo diesels can often be easily modified to produce much larger output than their factories intended and some of the 4WD's here put out well over 1000Nm!
In 2012 I bought a 2010 FD i30 1.6L D4FB VGT 85kW CRDi 5sp manual hatch and over the years have tried to research how this little diesel would go with a few mods and a tune. The vacuum of information is astonishing. It is quite light, handles well, stops well and the stock engine is quite spirited and revs happily to just under 5k. By far the most economical vehicle I have ever owned.

So I thought I would give it a go and see how it went with a little persuasion.
I found a set of 17" Japanese alloys that had the right offset and would fit 235's (only came out with 225's in AU) this has made the car corner like it's on rails.
I have put the battery in the boot and fitted a 76mm SS intake with a pod filter which sits right behind where the LH fog lamp used to be. There is a SS 63.5mm turbo back exhaust with a race cat and Magnaflow muffler being installed as I type this today.
The stock intercooler has been removed and an intercooler from a ford BA xr6t (240kW 6cyl) has been mounted behind the front grille. The injectors have been swapped out with +100% higher capacity jobbies.
The clutch is an Exedy HD with harder torsion springs installed. The stock turbo (I believe is a GT1544V) has been machined out and custom wheels, vane assembly, bearing and actuator fitted and is good for around 35-38psi of boost. At the moment we are running about 35psi max boost and I must say it is a completely different car.
As it stands now before we retune it for the modified exhaust and intake the last dyno run was 146kW (196hp) and 324Nm (239ft lb) at the wheels. To be honest I'm quite surprised we have these numbers from a 1582cc diesel and this car is a little go kart now. It pulls away hard from the lights very nicely.

I am thinking about buying a low k's engine/box and rebuilding them with stronger components bearings, rods, studs/bolts, valve springs etc.

Is there anyone else on the face of the planet who has done this apart from me? Any information you would be willing to give me even if you are a Hyundai tech who has played with the engines and gearboxes or maybe found their limits and killed one?
Regards

Ben

Hi and welcome to a fellow Aussie |B

It seems you are misguided by saying that WA is the best state when everyone knows that Queensland is Gods own country:)

Hi and welcome to a fellow Aussie |B

It seems you are misguided by saying that WA is the best state when everyone knows that Queensland is Gods own country:)
He He

I thought I baited that hook well

Cheers for the welcome Boldie

We both know WA is Way Ahead of the rest of oz. All the other states (except NT) are like Western Australia's own "Mexico" :cool:

I bit hard on that bait:lol:

Pity I can't help with your questions.

BTW I have been to WA a long time ago and went to the valley of giants and climbed the lookout tree right up onto the platform as well as visited many wineries in the Margaret River area.

I bit hard on that bait:lol:

Pity I can't help with your questions.

BTW I have been to WA a long time ago and went to the valley of giants and climbed the lookout tree right up onto the platform as well as visited many wineries in the Margaret River area.
Some very nice drops down there, bit cold at the moment. We are heading down to that region for chrissy break.
I'm not holding my breath for responses about my car it is an oddball. It is fairly odd that nobody has done it yet because it has responded really well to the work I have done. Now my tuner wants to do his next:) because they are impressed by the gains. I'm looking forward to the next tune now we have done the intercooler, intake and exhaust. I have been looking at finding a more power friendly clutch and so far there are a couple of re-manufacturers in the UK who can build a street able performance clutch. feels like I'm chewing through this one (not slipping though)

Waynne, the admin here and I would like to personally extend a sincere welcome to TorqueCars. I apologize for the delay in responding; I've had a really busy period recently, but I believe I've caught up now.

Thanks for joining and posting up an intro thread. I like the sound of your project, and I'm sure you'll fit right in, and I'm looking forward to "talking cars" with you.

I enjoy the idea of this project, and I'm a big fan of all kinds of automotive projects in whatever form they take, from cars to project ideas.

We have a wealth of information on our website and in this forum, so don't be shy about asking questions or sharing your own experiences and insights. We're all here to help each other out.

A lot of people say we're the nicest car community around, and we're always happy to provide a helping hand.

Have fun while you're here, participate as much as you can, and don't hesitate to ask us anything or to start a discussion. We always appreciate hearing from you about the hot topics and polls we're currently discussing.

Have you noticed our new television channel on YouTube? When you've had a chance to watch it, please let us know what you think of it. https://www.youtube.com/torquecars

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back