Incastum

Car
98 Nissan frontier
Hey all, I have some backyard experience but nothing trumps community knowledge so I'm here to learn.

My build is a little different than most I'd imagine, it's a 98 Nissan frontier with a 2.4l. I'm not looking to take it to the drag strip but I do want to get a little more out of it than I have and I've learned there aren't a lot of aftermarket parts available for it.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Hello and welcome and it's good to see you here seeking advise :)

I am not familiar with your car and don't know if it is gas or diesel powered.

The best way to get more performance out of any non turbo car is to add forced induction be it from an exhaust driven turbo or a belt driven supercharger

Hello and welcome and it's good to see you here seeking advise :)

I am not familiar with your car and don't know if it is gas or diesel powered.

The best way to get more performance out of any non turbo car is to add forced induction be it from an exhaust driven turbo or a belt driven supercharger
Eventually I'd like to add a turbo, but it's a little beyond my budget right now. For the moment I'm looking to get an intake manifold and throttle body setup that can flow more air in preparation for it but they don't seem to make anything for my engine (gas).

I was wondering if anyone on here might now of anything that might fit from another vehicle or maybe a site that I can order from I don't know about. Or any other quick and cheap mods I can do in an afternoon that might help.

Welcome

Drop in a K&N air filter, upgrade the spark plugs to better performing ones. You may also want to recheck the grade of oil that you are using to see if works for you. it all depends on what you are trying to achieve with your vehicle. if you looking for a little roar with a small increase in pep then don't go too much on the expensive side of things if you not sure of what the performance difference can be. if you have already a short ram stock intake the you can sill maintain that .A Turbo fit will require a complete pipe out plus other stuff engine wise plus a fuel pump upgrade, and depending on the turbo's location when fitted, i would advise not to prepare the engine with the pipework just yet until you want to. also on the exhaust pipe check the contouring and if any restrictions exist. I'm also up to this day not too clear if the bends and contours of that pipe are necessary but i'v known people to changeout just the resinator for a higher flow rate one with a sport exhaust barrel at the end :)

Welcome

Drop in a K&N air filter, upgrade the spark plugs to better performing ones. You may also want to recheck the grade of oil that you are using to see if works for you. it all depends on what you are trying to achieve with your vehicle. if you looking for a little roar with a small increase in pep then don't go too much on the expensive side of things if you not sure of what the performance difference can be. if you have already a short ram stock intake the you can sill maintain that .A Turbo fit will require a complete pipe out plus other stuff engine wise plus a fuel pump upgrade, and depending on the turbo's location when fitted, i would advise not to prepare the engine with the pipework just yet until you want to. also on the exhaust pipe check the contouring and if any restrictions exist. I'm also up to this day not too clear if the bends and contours of that pipe are necessary but i'v known people to changeout just the resinator for a higher flow rate one with a sport exhaust barrel at the end :)
I appreciate the advice.

The exhaust system will be my next step but for now I'm looking at the intake. I do have to add a new filter anyways as the old paper one literally crumbled when I pulled it out, so k&n is on the list. But for now I'm looking at the throttle body and intake manifold in the hopes I can get something that flows higher volume. I know that my frontier has the same engine as the 240sx and that manifold has fewer restrictions in it. I'm just not sure everything else will bolt up to it (the EGR, fuel rail, etc) or if anyone ever made a performance manifold for my engine.

I'm in Canada so that does limit what's available sometimes too. A few aftermarket companies simply don't ship outside of Japan or the US.

This is just a reminder to anyone planning to modify their ride is to check with their local authorities as to weather the proposed changes from stock / factory specs is allowed or legal plus get approval in writing /email from their accident /crash insurer as to weather they will continue covering you seeing you have made changes to your vehicle as they can and will cancel your insurance cover in the event of a claim being made if the car doesn't match the description on the cover note.

Waynne the admin here and I would like to personally extend a sincere welcome to TorqueCars. I apologize for the delay in responding; I've had a really busy period recently, but I believe I've caught up now.

Thanks for joining and posting up an intro thread. I like the sound of your project and I'm sure you'll fit right in, and I'm looking forward to "talking cars" with you.

I enjoy the idea of this project, and I'm a big fan of all kinds of automotive projects in whatever form it takes from cars to project ideas.

We have a wealth of information on our website and in this forum, so don't be shy about asking questions or sharing your own experiences and insights. We're all here to help each other out.

A lot of people say we're the nicest car community around, and we're always happy to provide a helping hand.

Enjoy your stay with us, post as much as you can, and feel free to ask questions or start new topics and debates. Your thoughts and opinions on our current issues and hot polls are always welcome.

Has our new TV channel caught your attention? When you've had a chance to watch it, please let us know what you think of it. https://www.youtube.com/torquecars

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back