My 2nd track day in 2022

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
It had to be rescheduled due to extensive flooding and we were surrounded for days unable to get to any shops but had sufficient food to see us thru but the event is now being held next Thursday and as usual I will only be doing the afternoon session that has a total of 30 hot laps over 2 different circuits and am looking forward to find out exactly how my staggered 235 F 225 R set of new 200TW Nexen SUR4G semi slicks will behave after running on 80 TW Nankang AR1's previously.

I have weighed the used AR1 wheel and tyres on a digital scale and was surprised to discover that the 1 size larger Nexen and wheel combo was app 600g lighter.

FYI I have gone with the larger size front tyres in an effort to get the car to be a bit more playful or loose in the rear to hopefully be able to power out post apex with less front end push as the beam rear end is a step down from the previous CTR EP3's independent rear suspension set up.

Look forward to the feedback. At some point I’ll be needing to replace my tyres, they’ve served me well. Doubt if they do them now. Decent track tyres are not cheap and cannot be compromised with.

Look forward to the feedback. At some point I’ll be needing to replace my tyres, they’ve served me well. Doubt if they do them now. Decent track tyres are not cheap and cannot be compromised with.

Will do .

Would love to have been able to afford Yoko A050 but @ $600 plus a tyre they were waaaay out of reach for this old weekend warrior so settled for 2 Nexen's for less than the price 1 Yokohama.

I realise that the A050 's would help lower my lap times bet being a realist I'm out there mainly for my personal enjoyment and working on my "use it or lose it " mindset :)

It’s not a cheap hobby, spent 6-7 years racing on the ovals. Now it’s about a bit of fun and personal development ;)

The minister for finance and war would be much happier if lawn bowls , golf or crocket was my source of enjoyment..V( but if any of them were I might just have dropped off my perch and kicked the bucket instead of ticking things off my bucket list:D

The minister for finance and war would be much happier if lawn bowls , golf or crocket was my source of enjoyment..V( but if any of them were I might just have dropped off my perch and kicked the bucket instead of ticking things off my bucket list:D
Lol yes true but what boring sods we would be! My wife knows I will never change, she won’t even attempt to try. Besides I’m looking forward to when my grandkids can sit beside out on track. :cool:

FYI I have taken one of my GK's for a couple of semi hot laps before he got his licence this year and he loved it.
His mum took time off work to drive him 90 minutes each way as she also had to be in person to sign the track disclaimer.

His dad also drove him almost 2 hours each way to the Leyburn Historic Sprints last year and they both enjoyed the day seeing the action as well as the various cars entered.

Well the Nexen tyres felt a lot different as I got the impression that they moved around a bit in the sidewalls but didn't take many laps to get comfortable and managed to cut 3 tenths of my PB on the sprint track but not on the clubman track which was used first so that may be due to getting to know how hard I could push them as I had a huge moment when the rear stepped out in T1 @ 130kph due in part that I tried a different wider line that involved a slight turn to the left to use part of the pit exit lane before turning right into T1 and upon reflection that slight turn left side line after the track entry made it like a Skandi flick so didn't try that again

I think that the staggered tyres definitely helped reduce power out front end push and when I used lift off mid corner the back end was more playful and that method made the front end tuck into the the apex a lot better.

Was baulked a couple of times by more powerful cars that passed and then braked much earlier than me and that slowed my corner speed and then they powered away on the straights.

FYI the TA rules are that overtaking can only be done on the straights and the pit lane line up is optional so the starting order exiting is not graded so it is solely up to the drivers as to where they are in the line up and we are let out onto the track @ say 3-5 seconds apart for the warm up lap.

Really enjoyed my day and the years simply don't count when I head out on the opening lap and my competitive mindset and focus take over.

Hope this pic works wherever you are.

Well the Nexen tyres felt a lot different as I got the impression that they moved around a bit in the sidewalls but didn't take many laps to get comfortable and managed to cut 3 tenths of my PB on the sprint track but not on the clubman track which was used first so that may be due to getting to know how hard I could push them as I had a huge moment when the rear stepped out in T1 @ 130kph due in part that I tried a different wider line that involved a slight turn to the left to use part of the pit exit lane before turning right into T1 and upon reflection that slight turn left side line after the track entry made it like a Skandi flick so didn't try that again

I think that the staggered tyres definitely helped reduce power out front end push and when I used lift off mid corner the back end was more playful and that method made the front end tuck into the the apex a lot better.

Was baulked a couple of times by more powerful cars that passed and then braked much earlier than me and that slowed my corner speed and then they powered away on the straights.

FYI the TA rules are that overtaking can only be done on the straights and the pit lane line up is optional so the starting order exiting is not graded so it is solely up to the drivers as to where they are in the line up and we are let out onto the track @ say 3-5 seconds apart for the warm up lap.

Really enjoyed my day and the years simply don't count when I head out on the opening lap and my competitive mindset and focus take over.

Hope this pic works wherever you are.

absolutely love this mate, proper data gathering and good informal things for people to take on board going forward.

great pic as well car looks nice and planted there.

i really cant wait get this 206 out on track and start my journey (again)

More info Andy.

I was unable to get any set up recommendations from Nexen HQ re heat range and pressures but decided to try 25 F &/ 27 R and they increased to 34F 32.5 R and the temps were almost even across the rears and varied app 10deg over the 3 places on the fronts.

Forgot to say that I had measured the front pads before and after I got home from the total of 30 hot laps and the pads were 1.54mm lower. so it's good to know how much life I have left in them before an event and if it is a bit too close to the back plate I will install a new set of Forza FP3 pads so as not to damage the rotors.

IMO if you are tracking a car you could do a lot worse than fitting the Forzas as their operating heat range is zero to 800 deg so they are fine for your daily.

Unfortunately something either on the track or dislodged onto it damaged the new PS front tyre and no replacements available so had to buy a pair of Vitour Enzo tyres so will be interested as to how they perform an the next track day in app 6 weeks time.

I will try to sell the remaining tyre as it would upset the handling if used as a spare on the rear seeing that I have gone with staggered tyres and don't want to run with different makes on the front drive wheels as it may lead to differing grip levels between left and right turns.

Sadly all tyre priced have gone north due mainly to the shipping container shipping prices doubling recently.

Due to flooding rains I haven't had the chance to track test them so far and wanted to get the feel of the Vitour semis before heading of on an 8 hour drive towing my CTR to the Gold Rush Hill Sprint in a month or so.

The event is held on an app 3klm stretch of closed public roads and do want to cross it off my bucket list before hanging up my helmet and sitting in a rocking chair reminiscing about the good old days.

Have enclosed a video of last years winner.

Will post my in car video when I return home from it .