Small update

stamford

Pro Tuner
Car
MG ZS200
Thought I'd share a small update. Not done a great deal lately as been a tad poorly and still got more hospital procedures to do, however I was determined to get something done to ease the boredom!

The weekend just gone was set aside in order for me to do the following:

• remove gearbox.
  • fit new lightened flywheel.
  • fit replacement turbo clutch.
  • fit another gearbox with Torsen type B diff.
  • re-assemble and play.
Now some of you may remember that my back has been pretty bad this year so have had to bide my time until it was good enough to play under cars! The MG has been used very little due to the slipping clutch so now was the time.

I spent the Saturday stripping the car down and getting the box off. Made up a flywheel locking tool and got this off and the new one on. Already had a clutch aligning shaft made up, think this was from my Audi days, same dimensions!

Stopped late Sat for a BBQ and a beer ;)

Sunday I attempted to refit the other gearbox, a right pain on your own and trying to avoid hurting my back again, managed to get it together. A few stupid bolts later all done.

Stopped to collect the wife later that morning then watched the football, another BBQ and then back on the car again!

All finished and running, then the problems started...............

Difficulty in getting into gear, car creeping with clutch depressed. Drove off and one hect of a rumble coming from the box.

So looks like the gearbox is goosed and the clutch arm is not in the same position as the good box that came out as the travel is different. There is no adjustment on the clutch as it is hydraulic. I then thought I really should have modified the arm to accept a clevis and thread the slave pushrod!

So the MG is parked up in the corner of the front garden and will be left until after next weeks hosptial visit and then try again when I feel in the mood. Not a happy bunny as I'll have to refit the old gearbox without the LSD. Looks like I'll have to strip the other box down and rebuild it, or buy a known good one and swap the diffs over.

I hate cars sometime!

Blimey stamford, after all that effort and pain endured over the weekend for it all to come to nothing :sad2:
Don't be too keen to get back on the case after your back from the hospital buddy, make sure you give yourself plenty of rest first please, that's doctors orders now! :)

The back is feeling good at the moment and it is another 'issue' I am going into hospital for. I'm having a colonoscopy, nuff said :blink1:

Thought I had better update this, I still have the blue ZS, hardly used these days and is off the road being modified some more.

It is currently empty, no interior as stripping everything out that is of no use. Rewiring some of the loom as removed all the SRS parts. All side glass to be replaced with polycarbonate and then I can go to town on the doors and remove all interior metal, electrics etc. Floor being prepped for rollcage when the time is right. Aircon system completely removed and replacement short aux belt fitted.

Flocked dash to go back in, new gauges etc. I already have two lightweight bucket seats and harnesses to go back in and a suede Momo steering wheel.

Bodywork being modified so I can gain a bit more clearance when setting it up how I like it. Tyres rub a little so started cutting the arches out and fitting hotrod trailer arches, something we used to do back in the day. It'll never be a show car! It's now just my track car project and will be road legal for a bit of fun. Limited to 3k miles a year, only costs around £120 to insure.

Suspension and brakes currently on point, adjustable arms and links all-round, polybushed, Gaz coilovers, 4 pots up front, bigger discs and decent pad material, bias valve etc.

Sounds like a good project but take care and don't bust a "poofle valve":eek: and harm yourself due to youthful enthusiasm :)

I'm taking my time. I did have a date I was looking to get it ready for but decided to leave any milestones well alone and get it where I want it when it's ready. It only started out as a little work sorting the radiator out and relocating the battery!

I just waved goodbye today to another 180 I acquired last year. Mk2 in xpower grey. Well sorted one too. It's making way for another mk2, a T16 conversion. This is one that was owned by the technical guru on my ZS website who sadly passed away before xmas. The family wished it would go to an MG enthusiast so they tracked me down from the funeral. Will post updates when settled in. So the MG stable will be track car and show car. Two opposites one V6 and a well sorted T16.

Drove the T16 ZS back from Wales, took it easy as needed to keep an eye on the gauges and get to know it. I shall service it so I know all is well before I start 'playing' with it. It needs a deep clean as it has been sat for a few months. Requires some tidying here and there. I need to get acquainted with this set up as it is entirety different to the V6 version. What I will say is when I gave it some throttle it took off like a scolded cat! I've never experienced torque steer like it! The V6 doesn't suffer with it. It was reputed to be running around 243bhp, plenty more to be had if I decide to go the forged internal route. But for now it is plenty for my needs and will become another long term project and won't be sold. I will post pics when it is decent!

Going to be following your ZS "exploits" with great interest.

Bought my first MG, a 2005 ZS 120 in starlight silver, back in June and, at age 45, discovered a whole new passion. Never really been interested other than admiring and driving cars. If they pass the MOT happy days, if not, believe what the garage say and pay the fee. Not any more. I can`t bloody leave the thing alone. Bought no end of tools and parts and spend not just ALL my spare cash, but also all my spare time under, in, on or around my ZS.

Got a ZT 1.8 turbo engine sat in the shed awaiting transfer. Still got to get an intercooler, FPR and ECU before I stick it in though.

MG`s..... who knew?

Take care of your back Brother, being a carpenter for 24 years has left me with a shot back, so I share your pain. Track rod ends and drivers side upper control arm for me this weekend, just done CV boots and lower ball joints last weekend, lol, I wouldn`t have even known where or what they were just 6 months ago, now I`m bloody fitting them!

Update. T16 was sold on, decided I needed to focus on the blue one.
I’ve managed a lot of work on it, quite a chunk this year due to furlough.
  • All suspension arms stripped and rebuilt, some OE spec bushes, some polybushed.
  • Interior fully stripped including sound deadening, painted.
  • Top of engine stripped, new sensors, new thermostat housing.
  • Piper 270 cams fitted (quad cam) x3 timing belts, tensioner, water pump etc.
  • Brembo GT2 4 pots stripped and painted.
  • Major work being the bodywork. Wings cut and steel extensions welded on, steel side sills welded on. BTCC inspired.
Engine runs. Bodywork needs paint to finish. Can’t wait to hit the track when normality comes back! Still have an LSD gearbox that needs a rebuild. By the time it gets tested it’ll be 5 years sorned and owned for around 16 years.

Good to hear that you are not moping about and are tinkering away with your project build |B

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates, we've missed your comments and banter, and you always seem to have something really interesting going on in the garage!

Well guys there’s always something to be done but as the years roll on I’m finding working under a car not as enjoyable! I wish for a 2 post lift and a barn to fit it in! Just happy enough having kept the car and been able to plod along, it’s been my saviour this year during furlough.

Been acquiring a few hard to find spares for future work. Bought some Janspeed manifolds, up to now I have not bothered with them as can be hard to keep within noise limits on track, but with the right sports cat I may be okay. Also have a set of 6 throttle bodies on an inlet manifold and air box. That’ll be my future project as will need a dedicated ecu and mapped to run it. The car has been covered until such time I can get the paint done. Decided it’ll be in the original WSR BTCC colours of grey and green. If I’m going the touring car route I may as well do it right.

That sounds fantastic. Good to hear from you again buddy. Which ECU are you going to use?
Most likely an appropriate Emerald. I know QED offered quite a few upgrades on the MGR KV6 lump regarding throttle bodies, 285 cams etc but they have either scrapped it all or forgotten where it all is, it’s been that long ago!

Wow very nice. What do you expect to hit power wise?
Tough one that. These KV6 lumps are hard to tune, unless you are West Surrey Racing! Current set-up is around 210-220. With those throttle bodies who knows? Currently running Piper 270 cams on the current mapped ecu. If I could find 285 cams that would match the proposed set-up as they need a dedicated ecu. Can’t say for sure, pub talk tbh, think I’d rather wait and see and not raise my expectations then be disappointed.

great updates mate, i hope you can manage to get the throttle bodies and 285 cams sorted it would certainly give it a fair boost in performance