Driving and old age

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
I firmly believe that one only gets nervous when out and about on the roads due to driving less and less as one ages and only on familiar roads and to familiar places like church, shops etc so I am one that believes "if you don't use it you will loose it " so today am celebrating my 83rd birthday and looking forward to entering at least 6 track days in 2022 and don't get nervous at all when flat out @ 160kph + and trail braking into the fastest right hander at my local track attempting to at least equal my best previous lap time.

I only feel my age setting into and out of the low body hugging seats in the type R that fit way better than the bucket seats in my daily drive 4x4 auto that also is used to tow my Honda to events .

I still will drive 15,000+ klm's this year rain or shine on all types of roads.

If you have a family member that is nervous and unsure behind the wheel then may I suggest that you should council them as to getting some refresher lessons from an accredited driving school and NOT a family member as IMO the vast majority of motorists have never undertaken any post licence training from a professional instructor .

FYI in Australia once one reaches 75 yearly medical and eye tests are required to be able to maintain the right to drive.

I have worked on the tools from 14 up until 67 in the building industry so have always been active and now days I go to a gym 3 days a week and swim a few laps to cool down after my workout that includes a 30 minute session on the rowing machine.

Was getting a bit twitchy about the time since my last track day so entered a different sprint 1/2 day at my local track and found that my 2 year old semi slick tyres were a bit past their best with quite a bit of understeer until they got some heat into them.
Had a WRX holding me up in the corners and pulling away in the straights only to close under brakes.

Had the same experience with Toyota AW11 that was turboed that I was following on another occasion.

Managed to set a PB of 64.169 so hopefully a mid 63 is not out of reach when new tyres are fitted.

As usual the Civic ran faultlessly with the only glitch being fuel starvation on the 2nd last lap of the day as I had just over a 1/2 tank of 98 at the start of the event so I tootled around to the finish to ensure there was enough left to get it to the finish and loaded it onto the trailer for the trip home.

Got to keep working on my "use it or loose it" mindset :)

Obi you may get some inspiration from the words in this song from his movie "The Mule" that I listen to a few times a week.
Clint at 91 is a few years older than me and an inspiration and like me he intends to wear out not rust away.