Fiesta problems

Zimjim

Car
Ford fiesta 1.3 end
Hi all. I live in Taunton UK and run various classic cars which by and large are problem free due to their simplistic engineering. However, I also have a 2001 Ford fiesta which I bought for my wife as she is learning to drive and after sorting out the mechanical shortcomings took it for its MOT. It failed. It appears that the hydro carbon output is way above the minimum allowed and I am stumped as to the cause. It has only done 3000 miles in 2 years before I bought it and the previous test also showed a high hc value although the test before was normal. What could have changed in the interim to cause a very high hc reading. Any suggestions?
Thanks and good to be talking to you all. Andy.

Run a tank of Shell Vpower though it, this burns cleaner and will help remove some carbon deposits in the engine.

As the plugs and sensors get coated/fouled up, the burn becomes less clean so if you can improve this it often will move from a pass to a fail without any mechanical work.

BG fuel cleaner also works quite well in these instances.

Sadly when a car is not used much it's performance and efficiency will degrade, they need log runs at motorway RPM's to clear them out and keep things running efficiently.

Another possibility is it is running rich, can you test for this yourself?

Thank you for your suggestions. I do appreciate all ideas. It is one of the more complex problems related to ecu's and injection engines. There are so many variables that come into play with these engines. It could be ht leads, coil pack failure, sensor failure, cat failure or a few other problems associated with minimal use. The real problem is the one thing that it really needs, I can't do and that is the Italian tune-up. Race it around at high revs for an extended period.
It has failed an MOT so I am scuppered..

I would double dose it with a good injector cleaner , clean the AF meter new plugs and a cat converter cleaner for a tank or 2 then get a retest for starters.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Hi mileage TSFI engines are prone to carboning up the inlet mani and ports .V(

Take out and give it a hard run, get everything really hot, not thrash around the local town like a loony, but get it onto a motorway or stretch of dual carriageway. If licencing is an issue, do you have a friend in the motor trade with trade plates? Good luck

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back