polo obsession

AndrewPierce

Car
VWPOLO MK111 6N1
Hello all you car buffs I’m Andy from New Zealand..last year I bought an old but reasonably straight 1998 6n1 polo for my kids to learn the art of driving according to me. They now all have their restricted license and I have bought another (straight)98 6n1 polo and a 2001 mk4 golf so there is no squabbling. Ive fallen for the first little polo and want to tune it up a bit once the girls have moved on (if they do) to another vehicle. I’ll scroll through the chats but am interested in brake and suspension upgrades first and then engine mods if any.it’s only the 55hp model .im sure that there’s an engine transplant option but at the moment am looking at keeping the original engine. The car will be used for tarmac racing ,Targa NZ in particular. And generally being a menace on the local streets (don’t tell my wife). Any info and encouragement will be well received positive or negative.
Cheers.
@ndy. P

Golf V5, GTi, Audi RS3 or Porsche brakes will fit your hubs (depending on years but I think I recall correctly here) The issue will be with Alloy wheel clearance. A set of 17" rims will open up a world of brake mods and conversions.

Coilover kits are the way to go, fit a strut brace, lower it a bit but go for stiffer than standard, but not too much and you'll have a cracking fun car to play with.

The 1.8T engine is the best drop in option for these, but you can shelve that for a future date.

Thanks Wizzer . do you know if the coilovers and the GTI or V5 brake swap would still fit,if I was to do the engine transplant later?
and would I need to use the donor hubs for the brake upgrade or will the rotors and calipers bolt strait on to the polo hubs ?
incidentally my Polo is the 75 hp model not 55 hp . also there appears on the chat thread that being a 1998 model,6n1, it might be a mk4 not a mk3 would that be right?

Andrew I have found that driving an underpowered car fast is possibly more satisfying than doing the same time in a powerful one as I have matched my previous 400hp turbo RWD cars times at events with my "newish " FN2 FWD Honda Civic in the sidebar that only has 1/2 the power |B BUT I do miss the punch in the back when the turbo came on boost ;) :)

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin, sorry for my slow reply.

That sounds like an awesome project. What are your plans for it long term?

Thank you so much for joining up and introducing yourself.

It's nice to have an enthusiastic member like you along, I hope you're enjoying the site. Please start up a project thread and share your experiences with all our other members and I wish you all the best in your project.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Hi there, it's great to meet you. I'm sure you'll love the site, it's a really friendly and helpful bunch of guys on here.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back