Will manual transmissions die out

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think there will be a time when it is unusual to buy a manual transmission?

I've used the paddle shift Audi system and I'm totally sold on it. There seem to be no drawbacks to having an automatic nowadays although they do usually cost a bit more.

When you have 6 speed autos with near instantaneous change does it make sense to go for a manual option?

Do you prefer manuals or autos and why do you say this?

Have never driven a flappy paddle car but I can see that they would be best when trying to reduce your lap time by a nano second or so BUT I love manual transmissions as they are more involving.

Autos are a winner in today's stop start congested traffic.

Fortunately I have an auto daily driver and a 6 speed manual for country runs and track days so have the best of both worlds.|B :)

CVT should be the future, but until they are a bit cheaper to make & maintain they wont be popular.

It may well become rarer in the future as technology advances. I prefer manual for track use but have auto for everyday purely for comfort in today’s traffic. Older autos can become problematic as seen many on Audi forums swapping out their autos for manuals on Allroads and S6s etc. Luckily my tiptronic still works fine.