General driving standard in your area

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I think most of us despair at the complete idiots behind the wheel but they are hopefully a minority.

What is the general driving standard like in your area?

Down here people tend to be quite courteous, perhaps overly cautious but in the main I think the standard of driving has improved. You also don't see many people speeding on motorways, at least not like I used to.

I seem to encounter a wide variety of different driving standards from competent to down right dangerous.

1 Timid or overcautious that will not or frightened to turn across oncoming traffic if there is not a 1/2 mile break.

1a As above @ roundabouts will not enter if there is a single car on it even on the far side.

2 Drivers ? who fail to get up to speed when merging into highway traffic flows.

3 Drivers who pull out into the "fast " right lane from behind a bus/truck and then not overtake and block other more confident/competent motorists.

4 The "Noddies" that are constantly checking/texting and not ready to move off briskly when the light changes.

5 Tailgaters I encounter so many that I am wondering if it has become a part or the test.

6 People that Knowing that they need to take the next exit but stay in the "fast" lane till the last possible moment and overtake and spear across the front of you onto the exit lane when they could have easily done so behind.

7 Females who are constantly playing with their hair.

8 drivers who continually turn their heads talking to passengers.

Well how's that for starters Obi San ? :)

Last edited:
9 using the left lane to turn right at a roundabout (unless clearly marked to do so).
I see this at two roundabouts on my morning commute everyday.

Changing lanes exiting roundabouts with 2 lanes or not complying with the painted directional arrows.

I have almost been in a collision @ a 2 lane roundabout when in the inside /right lane that has the option to exit left turn or continue straight when the car in left turn only lane turned right ignoring the left directional arrow road markings.

I always try to use the left lane where possible to avoid the possibility of this happening.