MEGASQUIRT ?

yankfan101

Torque Junkie
Car
1987 Range Rover
Happy New Year to all TorqueCar members, dose anyone know just how good Megasquirt is, in need a completely new injection system for my 3.5efi Range Rover, including air flow system.

I have a Haltec and it has been faultless for app 20 years. they have a great range of stand alone EMS computers and would recommend them BUT you should check with your dyno tuner as to weather he/she is familiar with them.
I have no info re Megasquirt pros/cons.

http://www.haltech.com/ecu-selector/

Last edited:
whats a dyno tuner ?

Unsure if you are asking that with tongue firmly in cheek BUT here goes :):)

He/she (must be politically correct these days :rolleyes: ) is the person that tunes/maps your engine via a laptop connected to the cars EMS/computer wile your car is strapped down on a chassis dynomometer aka "rolling road " as you seem to call them over your way :) to adjust the ignition and fuel map AFR's settings at say every 500 rpm's right up to the motors red line for the best power safely.

Last edited:
Unfortunatley this is a cobbled together land rover/range rover/rover 3.5sdi vitese Lucas & Bosch mix. As we found out, when you hook up a snap on laptop to a rubbish british leyland ECU they wont talk in anything but 2 letter digits at a time & there's no book around that tells you what's wrong. This lump has a dizzy, but its electronic, but the timing is done on the crank pulley, great system right, no , just a big headache, it will tick over at 6-700rpm but its rough, so im thinking of throwing all the injection stuff in a box to keep for posterity & fit a full mega system that you can do all the stuff you said, dyno EMS ecu's, the whole works.

IF you must keep this money pit then I suggest that you bin the existing ECU and install a Haltec Elite series computer and you will be amazed at how smooth it will run PROVIDED that you have it tuned/mapped by someone that is a competent tuner and familiar with them.

Last edited:
an ecu change is the way to go haltech are good but it may be easier in the uk with a link or syveccs . they are all on par though each has various levels- buy the best you can.
as said before find a tuner who has done this before with your engine , explain what you want ,including budget and if you are happy with him go with his reccomendations

IF you must keep this money pit then I suggest that you bin the existing ECU and install a Haltec Elite series computer and you will be amazed at how smooth it will run PROVIDED that you have it tuned/mapped by someone that is a competent tuner and familiar with them.
Yep, I think its the only way to go, once I sort out the prices for both Haltec & Mega. Thanks mate.

an ecu change is the way to go haltech are good but it may be easier in the uk with a link or syveccs . they are all on par though each has various levels- buy the best you can.
as said before find a tuner who has done this before with your engine , explain what you want ,including budget and if you are happy with him go with his reccomendations
Yep, agreed SLEEPER, as I said to TC, i'll look at the prices & go with the best option, as TC say's, its a money pit. that's why once its done she's of to the Brooklands aution & i'll be looking for a vcg Toyota Supra Turbo, hopefully from an enthusiast or club member, not a boy racer. Thanks mate.