No more '92 Silverstone .....

silver92b

Wrench Pro
Car
Miata NA6
It's been quite a while since I came to this forum and I thought I'd check in. I sold my supercharged '92 silverstone so it's gone now. However, I still have the White '91 I purchased later.
The '91 was basically in good condition but the paint was peeling, the ragtop was more than 20yrs old and the back window cracked. It needed a clutch, some loving care and a few other things, so I started the restoration.

I had the car stripped and repainted, looked fantastic! Then I had the clutch replaced, new timing belt, water pump and everything that's required for the 60K mile service. Ditched the stock wheels and put a set of Chaparrals on it, lowered it with Eibach springs and Koni yellow shock absorbers.

For the motor I installed the Racing Beat intake and header and a nice red cam cover :D.
Later I added the front and rear R package spoilers and the rear window visor for the hard top (I also replaced the soft top with a nice Robbins unit).

I've had it like this for a couple of years already, but I hadn't posted here (I think). Anyway, here is a picture of it on the road at the Garlitts museum of Drag Racing (cool place). Stopped there during a trip back from Florida to Atlanta.
The car is dirty and tired, but hey, it was worth a shot by the vintage fuel pump.
L1007849-2.jpg

Looks stunning. I'm sure you'll miss the '92 - the supercharger really transforms the car. Was it fun to drive and reliable?

Is it me or is it riding quite low at the front? Could just be a funny camera angle or odd camber on the road though.

Thanks, I do miss the '92. I did so much work on it... The sound system was very nice mostly due to the great speakers and installation. I also did a lot of interior improvements with leather seat covers, diamond pleated black venial door cards, and many other nice touches like KG Works instrument panel and many other touches.

The supercharger definitely changed to power output. Even after the motor was tired it put down over 140 whp on the dyno. That was a big improvement over the 85 whp it put down before the JRSC was added. Reliability was phenomenal. I wasn't the only one to experience that either. There is at least one guy I know who has 300K miles on his supercharged MK I !
These motors were designed with turbocharging in mind and easily handle 5 or 6 psi. The only thing one needs to do is make sure the fuel is there and the timing is managed. All mine had was a rising fuel pressure regulator and a Jackson Racing timing control unit. Very old school and conservatively tuned via timing retard, very reliable.

However, I don't want to add forced induction to this car. I rather prefer how the naturally aspirated engine performs. If I keep it above 4K rpm it feels quite peppy :D.

Yes, the car rides low all around. The stock Miata has a natural rake and it's maintained with the Eibach lowering springs and Koni Sport shocks. Perhaps the springs have a bit more bias towards a front drop... I don't know. The alignment should be spot on. It was set somehow to a very extreme negative camber in the front and I wore out the front tires much too soon in the inside, that was an expensive mistake :(.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back