best allrounder,,,,mk 5 golf gti?

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
hi all, having been on the internet all morning i'm looking for the best allrounder, sure i'd like another mx5 or try a s2000 for tours to the med but have a family, it seems the vw gti mk5 is the medias fave, do you agree or any ideas, Thank you

Personally I think the mk5 is hideous. But I am in love with the mk1 :)

Are you looking for a family friendly car that is also fun to drive?

Yes, other contenders were accord type R and BMW 320is though I don't know the availability of the latter, what do you suggest?

Saloon or estate/wagon?

Take a look at the BMW 5 series and Mercedes E Class.

you need to define allrounder more
size? economy ?
personally Id say an allrounder would be AWD but thats just me
also for what price

something small, 4.4 max length under £3000 and great for a grand tour including alpine roads,

Cannot say I have heard/read many negative comments for the Golf GTI MK5, if they do an estate version that might suit you better.

I just took one out, incredibly thirsty and far from quick, didn't feel much quicker than my mk2 focus ghia 2.0tdci. Lovely car though

Sod it, I bought it, suffer the economy later, just got used to the torque and mpg of the diesel focus,
So a fantastic focus diesel for sale on torque cars classified. Thank you

Last edited:
Keep us posted with your experiences of it. I'm sure you'll love it. They drive really nicely, the Mk3 and 4 were a mess as a drivers car but they have improved on it over the years.

Is a remap on the cards? It will make a massive difference for you.

Tbh it's parked unused outside my house, I'll keep using the focus until it's sold before I change the insurance, tbh as an all-rounder the focus is a hard car to beat, I just fancied petrol for a change