Have sat navs killed drivers navigation skills

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think that drivers who rely on Satellite navigation are losing the skills to navigate around?

I've heard a few people who don't know where an entire town is which they drive to a few times a year purely because they just put the postcode in a sat nav.

It depends; if you have a navigator to call from a map, fine, you can concentrate on driving.
If driving solo, the roads are so crowded with traffic and an overload of signage that a satnav is essential.

Personally for me, the answer is YES! I have a terrible sense of direction but a wonderful sense of rhythm, go figure....:lol:

I'd usually use a sat nav maybe once or twice to visit somewhere and then go by memory after that. TBF if it's somewhere that's a trek it's worth just having the SATNAV running for live traffic updates as much as anything else

I have my on all the time but only program it if I am unsure of the destination.
I also have a 5kph overspeed warning beep as well as fixed radar speed trap warning sound.

Mine is usually on but that's because it's hardwired in and left in the glovebox, it comes straight on with the ignition and I can hear the camera warning beeps from the drivers seat. On long haul trips or going to somewhere I'm not sure of I use it. The Mrs uses it whenever she goes anywhere but the local shops!

Before buying my first Tom Tom I knew the motorway network like the back of my hand! I could direct people to there destination no problem! Now relying on satnav for so many years I couldn't direct anyone anywhere! I use my satnav to get home from anywhere I work more to do with live traffic updates than anything else but I still use it all the time!

Our sat nav told us to do a 20 min u turn after missing a turning, then after it rerouted us the journey time was shorter than the first suggestions it made which we ignored.

They are simple tools but you still need to think to get the best out of them IMO.