GAP Insurance

davalav

Pro Tuner
Car
Mini Cooper S R56
Hey all!

Apologies for not being on much, been mega busy lately.

So I need to ask for some advice on behalf of my other half about GAP insurance policies.

So, before I met her she took out a small finance deal on a little Fiesta for like £100 a month or something close around 2 years ago. Apparently, a few weeks later someone phoned her about GAP insurance and Chloe said that she wanted to do it but didn't have the cash at hand at the time as they wanted £322 for 4 years to cover her so she would phone back to purchase thand cover.

She never phoned back and finally had enough money saved to pay off her finance but they have hit her with an unexpected bill of £322 for the GAP Cover as they 'Apparently' said that she VERBALLY agreed to the cover (although she didn't pay for it at the time) and have the recording of the phone call (which she is phoning tomorrow to request).

We're does she stand? How can they provide cover without taking payment (she says she has no recollection of agreeing to 'borrow' the cover) as she said she will call back to purchase it once she has the money available and never had anything formally signed in writing for proof?

Does she legally have to pay it?

Cheers

I would wait for the recording to see if she did agree to pay before acting.

It would have been interesting to see what they would have done if she made a claim as my wild guess is that they would have denied it as she had never paid the premium.

Doesn't sound right as you say. Have you legal cover on any of your insurance policies, they might be able to help or just the mention of you saying you're considering legal advice may make them change their mind.

You have a 14 day cooling off period for all phone and remote sales. They also have to prove that she agreed to do it. I also THINK that you should have a full written policy wording delivered to you and that they have to prove this arrived.

Mention trading standards, talk to your local CAB if you need more legal advice.

Pretty sure the ombudsman will be happy to hear this. I thought any contracts these days done either online or on the phone were signed digitally or by paying over the phone closed the deal and documents emailed in PDF format? Can't recall a verbal acceptance being enforced due to the distance selling law?