How likely are you to buy an automatic

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I was just thinking i'd quite happily buy an automatic car.

A few years ago I would have avoided them like the plague.

So what changed my mind? I think it is the arrival of the paddle shift and dual clutch super fast super quick 6 speed auto boxes.

A modern automatic is better than one driven manually for fuel economy and performance when in the hands of the average driver, and it's probably fair to say the performance would be better under a modern autobox for most drivers.

I went automatic in 1998 with a Nissan UK supplied 1997 2.0i Nissan Primera. This was a four speed effort but it had torque converter lockup which meant that at main road speeds there was not ATF churning. I'd driven many automatic cars previously - some appealed, some didn't.
Latterly I had the 528i with the ZF Steptronic box.
I like automatics but I am quite happy to drive either auto or manual.
There's more differences between cars than the transmission mechanism.
Kind of like saying that you don't like diesel cars.
Like saying that because you don't like sashimi/sushi tuna means you don't like food.

My 4X4 is my 1st auto and it is great in congested stop start conditions but I only went with the auto box after reading about the short lifespan of the manual clutch and the DMF along with the repair costs.
HI has a manual license but loves her automatic.

Just got back into an auto after 4 years and I'd never go back now. It"s an old fashioned slushbox but the changes are smooth. The Alfa I test drove had an twin clutch auto which was lovely,seamless changea.

These days autos are as as fast and as frugal as manual

They've been good for years now. It's very silly people who state that there's less control than with a manual. They boat steer and pan the wheel. As if that is control. I can go happily from one car to another and another still without concern. Manual/auto, petrol/diesel. 300bhp to 60bhp. Not that hard at all. I know that my driving preference is cars with usable and accessible performance. The transmission is very secondary.

I personally prefer manual I found that in my auto I became lazy and to laid back. My attention to the road became less because all I did was stick it in drive and on occasions neutral. I didn't like this! I prefer using my gears to how I want to drive not how the gearbox dictates.

my daily drive is a caldina GT Four.
According to the toyota spec sheet it is supposed to have a super intelligent tiptronic gearbox which only the n spec has .I dont know what it is supposed to do but it is extremely good and very smooth with quick changes.
So yes its very very good.
That is until driven close or near to its limit then you do notice its not a manual.
Mind you with 300bhp , awd, torsen diffs and 3 way adjustable suspension (all standard) that limit is higher than most cars.