Dampers

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Have just finished installing a set of front and rear dampers (commonly wrongly called shock absorbers) to my 4x4 |B

FYI for those who don't know the springs are the shock absorbers and the dampers control the spring oscillations.

That makes three of us :)

When I argue with someone about this I suggest that they try running their car without springs to see how much shock absorbing their dampers do.

I suppose there is some hysteresis loss in the springs. If we deleted the dampers the car would eventually stop bouncing after several minutes. Bit like a Renault 16 from the 1970s.

Years ago the standard test of the effectiveness of your dampers was to push down on a wing. If the car didn't stop moving after rebounding once and then returning to normal ride height you needed a new set.

Have just finished installing a set of front and rear dampers (commonly wrongly called shock absorbers) to my 4x4 |B

"Guilty as charged, your honour" :oops:

I call them dampers now having learnt this since I joined this wonderful group, but before, it was always; shock absorbers. Funny thing though, as clearly "shock absorbers" are universally accepted because everyone knows them by that name even if the terminology is incorrect ;)

I suppose they do absorb shocks too by way of absorbing energy from the spring which was 'energised' by the shocks from road imperfections.

In the same way as my car is solar powered. The marine life that created crude mineral oil was originally supported by energy from the sun a few tens of millions of years ago. Bit vague :D

"Guilty as charged, your honour" :oops:

I call them dampers now having learnt this since I joined this wonderful group, but before, it was always; shock absorbers. Funny thing though, as clearly "shock absorbers" are universally accepted because everyone knows them by that name even if the terminology is incorrect ;)

Only by Americans and dumb Englishmen :)

While I am at it, why can't people learn the difference between spoilers and wings, it isn't difficult as the clues are in their names.

Groan, I am getting too old to keep getting on and off my high horse :)

The car would be sitting on the bump stops.:eek:

Exactly. It was just my way of explaining to the unwashed that the springs do the shock absorbing. The damper's job is to control the oscillations of the shock absorber.

I'd like to see the look on the spotty faced youth at the car parts place if you asked him for a set of dampers. What really gets my goat is the number of people who talk about their BREAKS, s'trewth I even saw a ECP advert offering them at 25% off.

I'd like to see the look on the spotty faced youth at the car parts place if you asked him for a set of dampers. What really gets my goat is the number of people who talk about their BREAKS, s'trewth I even saw a ECP advert offering them at 25% off.

O yes, you've just found my nemesis too. BREAKS. Drive me close to violence this one!!

As does BROKE instead of BRAKED.

I've even seen something like 'If they red threw the hiway code and wood of broke sooner .......' Probably just as well I cannot find the source otherwise a quick bout of pyrotechnics would ensue.

Steve you may want to edit your last post and change the last 2 words to "springs" ;)

Last edited:
Yet you can still read this: Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

^^ True buddy! :)

BUT for what ever reason, some of our members on here may use the incorrect terminology or spell a word or whole sentence incorrectly; as long as we can get the basic understanding of what they are trying to say then that's alright by me. Although I have a PhD in engineering, many of the members on here may not have been as fortunate in obtaining a good education for one reason or another; a fact that escapes some people on here at times.

As long as that member is on here and has a love of cars and modifying them to the best of their ability and or budget, then again, that's good enough for me. Anyone who has a problem with that, then they can come and talk to me about it, if they feel brave enough!

Agreed. When I started working for Greenwich Council Highway Authority back in 1971 I dealt with a lot of letters from residents. I used to laugh at the terrible spelling, combination of upper and lower case words, bad grammar, etc. However, I soon realised that we aren't all blessed with a decent education and they were actually brave to try to put their concerns on paper. Even with bad spelling and grammer they were able to convey what they wanted to say. I apologise for my immature 'better than you' attitude I had back then. I know better now.

However, it is our responsibility to correct members when they make a basic engineering mistake or believe the many incorrect motoring myths out there on the internet.

Or has shocks and springs become a widely used term that it can be excepted?
Same as Gay is used to describe a homersexual
Soccer is used quite regularly used instead of football
Movie is acceptable to say film
Attic instead of loft

Language changes whether we like it or not!

Agreed, languages can almost be classed as living organisms, in that they evolve to take into account outside influences and changes in the social climate.

However, if you talk to suspension designers or race car engineers in this country they know what is a shock absorber and what is a damper :)

You can call a damper a shock, but it won't make it magically absorb shocks. If you can't get the nomenclature correct what hope is there of getting anything else right? Attention to detail is important, IMO.

Agreed, languages can almost be classed as living organisms, in that they evolve to take into account outside influences and changes in the social climate.

However, if you talk to suspension designers or race car engineers in this country they know what is a shock absorber and what is a damper :)
True but I was referring to general public.
How often do the general public talk to suspension experts?

Herb said: Same as Gay is used to describe a homersexual

>>> I was at a Christmas party at New Year (it kind of spilled over) and they had a karaoke machine where we were trying to sing Let's Marvin Gaye and Get It On... laugh? I thought my trousers would never dry.

Then there were the Flintstones:
What Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble were having when Wilma and Betty were out
We'll have a yabba dabba doo time
A dabba doo time
We'll have a gay old time!

They don't, but we are talking about people interested in modifying cars and they can't be bothered to learn the correct terms. I know that I am a pedant, but If they can't be bothered to get the names of the items they plan to use correct, what are their mods going to be like? This lack of attention to detail is why there are so many dangerously modified cars on the road, IMO.