What time will old-gits Elan set at Santa Pod

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Thought that it was the right tine to pose this question as the longest thread in TC history must have everyone who has followed Steves obsessive pursuit to build the fastest lightest road legal Lotus Elan in GB.

I will set the ball rolling and say 10 .2 second ET should be in the ball park :)

Two points:

Fastest road legal Elan in the WORLD!

I am not interested in double integer times :)

You gotta crawl before you can walk :lol:
Interestingly I was going to suggest a 9.3:)
What time are you aiming for that would put a big :D on your face.?

Santa pod will be closed and mineral fuels will No longer be on sale! ;)

I'll guess 8. something.

Steve isn't the elan in America you had a ride in the fastest elan?

I'm going conservative first couple of runs in the 14's but by the end of his day he'll be down into the 10's.

Steve isn't the elan in America you had a ride in the fastest elan?

I'm going conservative first couple of runs in the 14's but by the end of his day he'll be down into the 10's.

If it was an Elan, maybe, but it is an Elise :)

Agreed, first runs will be shakedowns, checking that the car runs straight and nothing is likely to fall off. However, the car ran 12s with the twincam engine back in the 80s so I would hope my first runs are quicker than 14 :)

You gotta crawl before you can walk :lol:
Interestingly I was going to suggest a 9.3:)
What time are you aiming for that would put a big :D on your face.?

I will be doing the crawling on an old WW2 airstrip in Essex so, hopefully, we will be at least walking at the Pod :)
9.3 would be a good time.
Not saying :)

I'll have to pop over soon as its been a while since I have seen the Elan!

Well if it is alright with Steve, I could pop over too and make it a TC mini meet ;)

Let me know if and when you arrange something Dave and I will see if my diary is clear.

Lucky devils :) Wish I could be there as well to see the results of Steve's lightweighting obsession.

Just hope all the Swiss cheese holes don't create some hitherto unknown bad aerodynamic effect and slow the Elan down :)

Just remembered my trusty Moroso slid rule and here is some food for thought

IF the Elan weighs 1600 lbs and has 500 hp = 8.55 second 1/4 mile @ 160 mph
1500 ...................600 hp = 7.95 .......................... @ 172 mph
1400................... 600 hp = 7.75 ........................... @ 176 mph
1300.................. 600 hp = 7.6 ........................... @ 181 mph

I don't know what the final weight and power will be BUT the Elan will be dam fast|B :)

Since deciding to fit a full roll cage I have increased my target weight to 1600lbs, so good guess :)

Power is 520 on pump fuel. Using Q16 race fuel and we are up to around 600.

Wondering if you will be wet or dry sumped?
IF wet then am sure you will need a larger capacity oil pan with some trapdoors ,crank scraper and windage tray to help keep the oil around the pick up when you drop the clutch.?-/

Then your weight will be a bit under the stock Elan weight of app 1670 lbs ?

PS over here a cage is mandatory when you go lower than 10 seconds in a modern street car.

PPS 1600 lbs and 520 hp = 8.45 @162 mph

Last edited:
Wet sump, widened, traps, windage tray, scraper, pickup in its own little corral - I don't recall posting a photo of my sump so how did you know? :)

Well one should not reach ones senior years without picking up a bit of knowledge along the way.;)

So true :)

We discussed dry sumping (my twincam engine was dry sumped) but decided that is wasn't necessary for what I planned for the car. It added cost, complication and weight.

Should run 8's when its been set up. Power below 600 will struggle for a 145+ terminal.

I'm hoping to break 150. Back in the early 80s I managed 119mph with around 190bhp (168 at wheels).

Surely the question should be

What time will old-Gits élan get to ( not at ) Santa pod

I'm hoping to break 150. Back in the early 80s I managed 119mph with around 190bhp (168 at wheels).

Can only quote my own car- 120 terminal with 400 crank, 128 with 500 crank, 139 with 660 crank. Taken during Topspeed runs from data log so not geared for quarter but it does show how much Power is required to lower the ET & still keep getting higher Terminals. I await with interest.

My car, being lighter and slipperier(?) ran 119 terminal with 190 (based on 168 at wheels) crank, so half the power needed to reach almost the same speed.

So do I :)